Heater leaking voltage!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sumpin'fishy

Humble Disciple of Jesus Christ
Oct 16, 2002
Savannah, GA
I was cleaning/pruning my 55 gallon planted tank today when I felt some stray voltage in with my hand in the tank! I don't turn off anything except my filters when I do waterchanges, normally. I know that safety always says to unplug everything, but I like to keep the temperature up when re-filling the tank with cooler water. Another benefit was that I actually felt the slight voltage in my tank. I didn't feel it with any of my fingers except the one with a small cuticle cut. It's amazing how a cut/scratch allows electrical current into your body easier. Our skin actually insulates us to a minor degree. Of coarse this won't help me when I get a full blast jolt of 110 straight from the wall!:eek:

Anyways, I proptly unplugged and removed the heater, Which was a Pro Heat 200w Titanium heater. I only bought this about 45 days ago, so I have called and I'm returning it to the store (Dr. Foster + Smith). I currently have a 200w Visitherm Deluxe heater taking it's place. I was asked what I wanted to do for the credit of the heater, and I said I wanted another Visitherm 200w in it's place and take the rest of the money in store credit. This Visitherm I've only had for about 1 month, so I don't have any long term experience with them. I have had good luck with my other 300w Pro Heat Titanium (which I've had for about 1 year), but I just don't need another Titanium heater.

Any experience with Visitherms? They seem to be well built and I love the suction cup bracket (very sturdy, deep suction cups). Any bad experiences? I know everyone has their own preference with heaters, but I don't like the extra length of Ebo Jagers, and the Visitherms are among the cheaper priced submersible heaters, as well as being named "the most accurate for the price" in the Foster + Smith catalogue. I paid $16.99 for it, which is quite a markdown from the $23.99 Pro Heat. Did I pick a poor quality heater? I know each brand has failed at some point and we all have our favorites, but is it a consistent "looser"? Thanks.

Oh, thought I'd tell you guys why I don't use a GFCI or ground probe in my tanks (which I would like to do). I don't have any grounded outlets in my house, since it's old, and have to get 2-prong adapters just to be able to use grounded plugs. I could buy 3 hole sockets, but why bother when they don't function? I'm not going to bother re-wiring this house either, since we plan to move in a few years. Never had any problems with shorting equipment other than leaking heaters (I've had 2 cheap ones and this last Pro Heat leak current on me)!

Last edited:

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
i don't think glass heaters have as much chance for voltage leaks. glass is an excellent insulator, so the only chance for leakage would be if it had a leaky cap.

i have a fairly old visi-therm heater that has always treated me excellently, and i always liked the little red slider thing inside of them that shows the dialed in temperature. i also picked up 2 of the "deluxe" models this spring when i had some leftover store credit for some fry i sold, they were the only brand the store carried. i have only had the opportunity to use one of them so far and it seems to work fine. i'm not sure i like the way the new models adjuster "clicks" as opposed to the old one, but other than that i have no complaints. :)

2 options for grounding you might be able to use if you want ideas. if your house has metal electrical boxes and "bx" (metal shielded) wire, you might be able to just ground the outlet to the box itself. i'm not an electrician, but it seems like this could work. also, they sell grounding kits at fosters i think. some sort of prefab setup that *might* just involve a wire to the tank and a spike in the ground............

good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store