Freshwater Flounder?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ctbestfisherman

AC Members
Mar 22, 2009
Connecticut
I was at my LFS yesterday and saw they had a flounder in a freshwater tank. It was 2 by 2 inches. On the tank description it said it would eat algae. This shop has no saltwater tanks so it must have been freshwater. Just wondering if anyone ever heard of a freshwater flounder before. I was thinking of picking it up if it stays small and is indeed a freshwater fish. Any info would be appreciated.

paperdragon

AC Members
Mar 7, 2008
There's a "freshwater flounder" you see for sale a lot that's actually a brackish fish. It can survive in freshwater, but it doesn't do all that well in it from what I've read.

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
Agreed :)

Kristina

ctbestfisherman

AC Members
Mar 22, 2009
Connecticut
Thank you very much. Do you know how big they get? I might set up a small brackish tank for the flounder and some bumblebee gobies if it remains small. The last thing I want is a 20" or bigger flounder.

ctbestfisherman

AC Members
Mar 22, 2009
Connecticut
Thank you very much great site.

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
Agreed, flounders sold as freshwater are usually brackish, gets to about 6", and doesn't eat algae. There are true freshwater flounders, though you'll rarely see those being sold.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
I have had 2 freshwater flounder for almost 2 years. I keep them in my community tank (freshwater), and they do just fine. I got them at about 3/4" and they are now a little over 2" each. I don't know if they eat algae, but mine are constantly pressed up against the glass, so maybe they do. All my "non " fishy friends think they are pretty cool. Good luck.

austinpetemo

AC Members
Sep 25, 2007
Newton Falls, OH
no such thing as a FW flounder. i made the mistake of buying one. they dont eat algae and they need brakish water. mine eventually died because it would not eat any food that i offered it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store