Does Anemones swim?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nancyhoa409

AC Members
Apr 29, 2009
Bridge City, TX
Am I making any sense, when I was asking the questions? My condy anemone keeps floating in the water. It will not stay on the sand or whatever. I had just purchased another condy anemone and it was GINORMOUS! And when it got in the tank, it shrunk....my other one that I had previously has not gotten to it's normal size (it's been weeks)

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Am I making any sense, when I was asking the questions? My condy anemone keeps floating in the water. It will not stay on the sand or whatever. I had just purchased another condy anemone and it was GINORMOUS! And when it got in the tank, it shrunk....my other one that I had previously has not gotten to it's normal size (it's been weeks)
No, they detach in an effort to find a better location. Some, on the other hand, do move around frequently using a floating method--they'll inflate their foot and move to various spots (Boloceroides are noted for this, as are Aiptasia). Yours, on the other hand, is very unhappy and will die if changes aren't made. Can you give as accurate a description as possible about your setup, water parameters, lighting, tank size, etc.?

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
yea.. they tend to move around periodically

but it sounds like yours are unhappy.. and maybe sick

what are your water test readings?

nancyhoa409

AC Members
Apr 29, 2009
Bridge City, TX
50gal
ph 7.8, kh 180, no- 0, no+ 20
coral sun actinic 420 for lighting
2 clownfishes, 1 grunt sweetlip, 2 LRs, 1 condy anemone......

my husband pours the buffer dkh every morning...

what other information do you need? as of right now that's what I have. My husband does all the work, and I do all the looking up.

(We are still learning... so please tell us if we are doing something wrong.) THanks

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
pH is acceptable, but on the lowest end. Is this occurring in the morning or well into the photoperiod? If it is occurring later in the day, you may have a carbon dioxide build up issue. The alkalinity is fine, so you should be able to back off on the buffer. Better aeration via water movement and/or venting of the house can dramatically raise pH levels. What jumps out at me is several things, however. The first is the lighting. That is terribly inadequate for a photosynthetic anemone. You'll need at least power compact lamps for this species, with brighter being better. The live rock amount also seems to be inadequate unless they are substantially large rocks. How long has this tank been set up at the current date?

nancyhoa409

AC Members
Apr 29, 2009
Bridge City, TX
oh, of course... i told my husband to switch the lights cuz it wasnt pretty. *sigh* we will definitely put the lights back up... the LRs umMmm... well, they are big but i dont think it's big enough for the 50gal. We just haven't gotten the money to get any more rocks cuz we went online to look for some use ones but they haven't had any. It is getting kinda pricey. We have plenty of flow in the tank. The tank has been setup for about 2 months now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store