Success x2 - Baby Oto

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
And who said lightening doesn't strike twice. Just went down and did my morning checks of the tanks. There on the front glass....another baby oto!!

:woot:

Itty bitty! I think one is smaller that the first one at first discovery. Kewlness. Heading out to the race now so will be working the camera tomorrow.

Now ... for the big question.....Help me try to keep this one alive. Any suggestions? Jinxy mentioned target feeding for my last one. How do you target feed a baby oto?

I think also this time, I may leave the airstone off this time. I haven't been using it as much since the last baby left. Trying to get the tank back to where it was. The airstone was an addition after the baby discovery. So this time, I may leave it off. I still have to do water changes so the icky stuff doesn't build up. Can't get around that.

Pics to follow.

Thoughts?

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
WOW!!!!

Baby count currently at 5

Do the happy dance! :dance:

Ok...time to take a very deep breath and calm down. I can not get too excited as I don't want to disturb this tank what so ever.

Wowsers!!!

I am on cloud nine right now.

I'm guessing these guys will be eating algae at this stage as well. What can I do to make sure they have a food source at this tiny stage.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
That's awesome! I was just thinking about you and the baby otos this morning! I think success really depends on them getting algae 24/7, can you try to grow some extra algae outside the tank? And very, very lightly on the water changes. A lot of fry are extremely sensitive to any changes in the water parameters and die.:thm::thm::thm::thm::thm:

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Do you have a spare tank and light to set up to at least grow diatoms? It is real easy to grow diatoms in a newly set up tank with the lights left on all the time. You could add some driftwood, rocks or even plants and then when they're brown put them in for the baby otos and place new ones in the spare tank ..... trade them back and forth. i think diatoms are a bit quicker and easier to grow than green algae.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
At the moment, I only have well established tanks. I have one tank that currently has a little bit of diatoms and some greenspot. I know the greenspot won't be touched and don't want to transfer it over. If I ad, driftwood, that would change the dynamics and parameters of the tank. How about increasing the photo period from 10 to 12-14hrs and cut back on the ferts? Would that entice algae to grow? Also keep in mind that I have shrimp and briggs in here so the algae if definately in check.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
As for parms: They have been consistant over the past week.

Temp: 74
Ammonia and NitrIte: 0
NitrAte: 40
GH and KH: 4
Photo Period: 10hrs / 0800-1800
Weekly WCs: 2 1/2 gallons or ~ 10%

Feeding: 2 small Hikari wafers broke up in quarters scattered around the tank and a pinch of flake food ground up. I do this ~ every three days.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Congrats! You could try growing extra algae in a bucket or bowl of tank water either out in the sun or with a lamp over it.

I wonder if the egg white & fish food trick would work with otos like it does for plecs, maybe with spinach or other green food like romaine, chard or nori. I think all you do is mix thoroughly or whizz in a blender then paint onto smooth rocks & let it dry. Inkyjenn may be the one to ask.

I'd be a little concerned that your nitrates don't get much higher, 40 is a lot

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store