Fish Shed Build Thread!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shwank005

Mmmbeer
Feb 20, 2009
Morgan Hill, CA
Didn't think I'm actually crazy enough to do it, did ya?

Well, I am.:silly:

And even more amazingly, my wife is so awesome that she just lets me.:dance:

So here's the plan:

7'9"x 11', shed style roof, tall wall 7'9", short wall 7', 2x4PT floor joists, 2x4 walls, 2x6 roof. 2 skylights, one door, no windows.

INSULATION!!! as much as I can stuff in there, R3 rigid foam on the outside of the framing, under the exterior sheeting, R13 in the walls, and floor, R19 in the ceiling, and the interior is going to be finished with R3 rigid foam instead of drywall because it's insulating, airtight, doesn't need painting, and is waterproof. Roof sheeting will also be the foil faced OSB that reflects heat.

Tank layout isn't decided yet, but will probably eventually cover both long walls with 10s, 20s, 29s, 33s, 40s etc. Hopefully near 1000 gallons when it's full. All tanks will be sponge filtered (does anybody know a good source of filter foam? JoAnnes doesn't have the right stuff). Air will be run through PVC all around the room from one air pump. I hope to heat the whole shed with one floor heater rather than lots of individual heaters. Lighting will come from the skylights, and probably 4' flouro shoplights on the ceiling, no individual tank lights. The only things that should be plugged in are 1 heater, window AC (built into the wall), air pump, and lights. All the power will have to come from one extension cord going to the house, water will come from a hose, hot water will need to be bucketed in from the house if I need it. I'm renting so there isn't anything I can do about the utilities, I'll just have to make due.

I started Thursday, framed the floor. I had hoped to work on it most of the day today, but it's raining, so I'm doing this instead.

I'll keep you all posted, and appreciate any comments.

For now here are some pics of the floor, and a cheezy paint drawing I just made to show what I'm basically doing. No, those are not my actual plans, those are on graph paper.

Oh, total cost so far: 70$ (I'll track it here in case anybody's interested, plus I'm terrible at keeping track of receipts.)

Cheezy drawing.jpg IMG_0064.JPG IMG_0065.JPG IMG_0066.JPG

shwank005

Mmmbeer
Feb 20, 2009
Morgan Hill, CA
That's Roxanne...<3

shwank005

Mmmbeer
Feb 20, 2009
Morgan Hill, CA
I figured I'd put a swiveling barstool in there somewhere =), maybe take the laptop out there too.

shwank005

Mmmbeer
Feb 20, 2009
Morgan Hill, CA
Looks like I'll be taking the bosses van today after work to pick up materials. Time to spend some money!

shwank005

Mmmbeer
Feb 20, 2009
Morgan Hill, CA
And I sure did spend it.... $587, total 657$

I got a big pile of plywood, sheeting, rigid foam insulation, 50some 2x4s and 10 lbs of screws. Too tired right now, hopefully I'll get some work done tomorrow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store