too many anemones....help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Exuma Girl

Registered Member
May 2, 2009
I have a 55 gallon saltwater tank. I live in the Bahamas and catch whatever is in my tank. To be honest, I am not a good fish catcher so my collection of fish is limited. I do have lots of crabs, brittle stars, urchins and other slow moving beings.

My problem is i had an anemone ( i think it is a sponge anemone). One day the anemone disappeared after several years of living in my tank. A while later, i noticed babies growing. Alot of them. I now have aprox 150 of them in my tank.
Q is: How many is too many and how do i get ride of 99.9% of them without killing them. They are on my rocks, in the sand and on my shells.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
They are pest anemone's called aiptasia.....If you dont eradicate ( kill ) them from your tank, the plague will only get worst...Either squirt them with a syringe of boiling water, or inject joes juice directly into them....I gotta say, you certainly got em bad..lol..

Exuma Girl

Registered Member
May 2, 2009
do i have to inject the hot water or just squirt it on them?
i just read i could inject them with lemon juice also?

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
With that many, I might worry about lemon juice injections potentially changing the pH...or at least exhausting your buffers. Be ready to do a bunch of water changes if you go that route.

Exuma Girl

Registered Member
May 2, 2009
i ask about the lemon juice because i live on a small island in the Bahamas, it will take about 5 weeks before i can get the joes juice shipped here.

any ideas about the boiling water or lemon juice, which i can get here, would be appreciated!
thanks so much

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
one container of joes juice would be too small for your problem (unless there a larger container iv never heard of) but it works great.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store