Cardinal tetra and rummynose tetra

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
In your experience how sensitive are cardinals or rummynose tetras? Im not beginner but no expert either. I would like to try these fish in a 10 gallon aquarium. So how sensitive and any tips on keeping these??

ChrisK

AC Members
Aug 10, 2008
Sulphur, LA
Cardinal stock has been kinda hit and miss lately from what I here. Assuming you find some good stock, as long as you keep up with your water changes regularly, and your tank is cycled they shouldn't be a problem for you to keep. If you are picking only 1 I would go with the rummies.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I have cardinals but no rummies----If you get good stock, have a good cycled tank, acclimate carefully, they not sensitive at all. I bought my cardinals and neons years ago (15 cardinals, and 10 neons). I still have about 14 cadinals and about 7-8 neons, not sure exactly but close. Hard to count them---they do not stay still.

ChrisK

AC Members
Aug 10, 2008
Sulphur, LA
If you find some GOOD cardinals, they are about equal. When you say sensitive what exactly are you referring to? I wouldn't recommend cycling a tank with either of these.

ChrisK

AC Members
Aug 10, 2008
Sulphur, LA
I have cardinals but no rummies----If you get good stock, have a good cycled tank, acclimate carefully, they not sensitive at all. I bought my cardinals and neons years ago (15 cardinals, and 10 neons). I still have about 14 cadinals and about 7-8 neons, not sure exactly but close. Hard to count them---they do not stay still.
I've had 15 neons for over a year too. You also hear about people bringing 10 neon or cardinals home, putting into an established tank, and half of them being gone by the next morning. The stock is so hit or miss :)

Luvbugz

The Suicidal Townie
Apr 18, 2007
Indiana
I haven't had experience with cardinals, but I am on my second school of rummy noses; (First lost during our icestorm). Rummy noses can be somewhat sensitive. I can't do more than a 25% percent water change at one time with my rummy noses otherwise it is too much of a change for them. I lost two trying to do a 50% water change on the first week I had them. I was able to acclimate them to my water fairly easily though. Just have to go slow with them.

I am one of those who have had more disluck with neons than with rummys. I bought 12 neons the other week. Acclimated them slowly as I do with all my fish. Woke up the next morning with 6 dead. :p

Chrisinator

Ripariumist
Sep 27, 2008
North Jersey
Real Name
Chris
Im really excited to try them. When im at the store how can i know that their a good stock and wont die for the first time? I drip acclimate my fish and most of them are fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store