Paludarium... Vivarium... bonsai?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaluden

AC Members
Feb 23, 2008
Shakopee, Minnesota
Hey, I have been lurking this section for a while, very highly intrigued by the whole idea. I am unsure as to which I want to build, I want to make an aquarium that has land and water, but I may not have a land animal. I would also like this to have bonsai trees. So I am looking for a little information.

First, which am I aiming for so that I know what to call it? I am thinking its a paludarium but I feel as though I am probably wrong, I want it to have fish so IDK.. :help:

Second, I am looking to build a water area with enough room for at least a betta, maybe a small school of smaller fish, I dont know if I will be using a 10g or 29g at this moment, I would then like to go to a self made filter powered by a powerhead that feeds into a "lake spring" effectively a bottom fed "lake" surrounded by a small wall of tree's (the bonsai part) and then have it flow in a small river back to the water part. The ground would probably be designed to be covered in moss. What are my options for keeping the moss/trees watered? do I need to water them seperately or can I just put in like a water wick down below so that the water is pulled up as needed by the soil?

Third, I dont know anything about actually starting and keeping bonsai, anyone able to point me in the direction of a site that will teach me on selecting acceptable indoor bonsai varieties that are not pine? My wife is allergic to pine...

I will try to make a drawing of some sort for my idea shortly, but in the mean time, give me some feedback? maybe point me in the direction of some usefull threads or sites? What would be a cheap land/water animal that could get along with a beta and would not be wanting to escape to much?

Thanks in advance!:thm:

invertebrater

invertebrater
Mar 6, 2009
Northern California
Real Name
Tommy
your interest is right along my alley, im currently building a 75g paludarium to house land crabs with some type of schooling fish and ghost shrimps and it consists of a land area and water area including a waterfall and a 4 valve/line drip system to water the plants and keep the substrate on the false bottom land area moist. i'm going to be selecting and growing different bonsai plants i come across in china town. i think with the bonsai it's hard to know which would survive in the tank as i havent found much information regarding this type of growing for bonsai's. but i would definately stick with tropical bonsai's which tolerate the warmer and more humid environment. i will also be keeping the bonsai's individually planted inside their own containers to keep the roots tight. well if you want to take a look the build thread is in my signature. good luck with your build! im looking forward to seeing it.

Kaluden

AC Members
Feb 23, 2008
Shakopee, Minnesota
Yes sir it is similar to yours, I have seen it already and it is amazing. I am not sure if I want to do quite as much work with greatstuff, but I may not have other options. I am trying to do this on the cheap. I have a tank for it, 5.5g 10g or 29g, I would say 75 but that is in the works to be the wifes goldfish tank lol. I have the powerheads I would need and I have enough spare glass/plexi to construct walls and such.

How hard are crabs to keep and are there any relatively cheap land/water ones that look cool and are not overly sensitive or vicious? I have honestly never looked into crabs and wouldnt know where to start.

As for keeping the roots tight on the bonsai.... well, thats why I need a beginners site on bonsai, I have no idea the reason for this lol.

I will definitely try to get some doodles and such up as soon as I can so that I can actually get tied into this build and get it started so as not to disapoint people lol.

invertebrater

invertebrater
Mar 6, 2009
Northern California
Real Name
Tommy
the crabs vampire crabs - gesesarma's i dont know really, but i've heard they are mild tempered. i currently have a different species red claw crab which are more aggressive and not as easy to breed. but you could keep frogs and the betta or salamanders and newts? any type of amphibious animal would be cool. could put some ghost shrimp in the water too.

Kaluden

AC Members
Feb 23, 2008
Shakopee, Minnesota
Not too big a fan of shrimp, at least not ghost shrimp, the only thing I use them for is food for my other fish. Maybe a bamboo or vampire shrimp or something could be cool... But I think an amphibious animal would be awesome. Are newts able to climb glass like anoles and such are?

I went looking around a nursery last night, looked at some trees and such. Kind of thinking that a small forest of birch surrounding the spring with one or two weeping willows hanging over the water would be pretty awesome.

Now, when you use the great stuff you seem to be getting rid of a lot of it, exactly what are you using to seal it off and make it water tight again?

aquajerrium

Registered Member
Jul 2, 2011
longview, wa,. USA
Real Name
Jerry Risley
Hello, I know its been a long time since last post, but am in the process of moving to larger digs. I haven't been working on my paludarium for that reason. I don't want it too heavy and awkward for the movers. I HATE MOVING, did I mention that yet? No? well I do with a passion. This has got to be the last time. I have been reluctant to squirt expanding foam on my aquariums glass, I have never done that before. This will be my first palu/viv/terr/aquarium/etc/etc. I am excited about setting it up and not having to take it down to move, seemed wise to me that way. It just wouldn't be the same after the movers meathooks got ahold of it. Yuck! I am afraid I just would have to cry after all that work. They couldn't move it anyway, too heavy, it's 6 ft long. I want to make it impressive as my first, and I have YOU ALL to thank for your beautiful, marvelous, fantastic, wonderful examples of paludariums, vivs, etc.,etc.,etc. to follow.
I am a little confused tho...do you lay out first, I'm guessing you do even tho that part I don't see. I'll have pics of it all so you can ALL see ALL my faux paus (I spelled that wrong for a starter), needless to say I'm excited to start this great adventure (as soon as I get over my fear of expanding foam on glass). Sorry about the windiness of this thread, more like yarn. Later fellow paluwariums. What do you know a new ium. aj

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store