Krib fry

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I had long suspected that my female kreb was going to have babies... this evening when doing the water change the male was going after my vacuum so I figured that it was time. Sure enough. When I turned off the lights I could shine a small light through a tiny hole in their cave and it is full of eggs and fry.

What to do? Can't really set up fry tank due to limited space and equipment. WIll they be alright in there? The stock at this point (we have pared down a lot).

four zebra danios
1 fire belly gourami
1 blue gourami
4 emerald cory
5 platy
1 moly

and the two krebs. Would really like to see these little ones make it so I would like some suggestions and help. Thanks all.

Last edited by a moderator:

laudy000

AC Members
Jan 6, 2009
I can only tell you my limited experiences. I bought a mated pair of kribs about 6 weeks ago and put them in a 150 gal community tank with zebra danios, balloon mollies, bloodfin tetras, cories, and yoyo loaches. They spawned for the first time about a week after I bought them. Guarded the cave for several days then abandoned it. A couple weeks later they spawned again at a different location. About 40 fry hatched, and once free swimming, they paraded them around the tank, with all other fishes herded at one end. After about a week the fry number is down to about 15-20. Dont know who ate the others, but they are still being gaurded by both parents. Cant tell you what to do, but this is what took place for me. At the moment, all seem happy. Good luck.

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Thank you. Mom and Pop are stilled viciously guarding the cave. Lost one danio to the fray and a molly is terribly beat up. Things have settled down now a bit. When doing a water change the pop actually attacked me!!! No lie. Crazy but very interesting to see their parenting instinct.

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
The fry continue to do well and their numbers are holding. The other fish are keeping their distance. Started to feed the fry specifically last night with daphnia and pulvarized flakes mixed iwth tank water. I just squirted it on the slate playgroudn they have. Fun to watch their little tails wigglin' as they ate. Although they will eventually make their way to the LFS I gotta say i am going to miss them...

how long does it take for them to get .5"?

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
It depends on how big your tank is, partly. I had 2 pairs of kribs guarding fry on either side of my 75 gallon community. The krib parents do an excellent job of guarding the fry, so you don't have to worry about that. What you do have to worry about is whether or not your krib parents will harass your other fish.

In my situation, the kribs damaged the tail fin of one of my diamond tetras and killed 2 others. They also chased the other fish constantly. It may have been okay with just 1 pair defending one side of the tank, but I had both ends being guarded so my other fish had no where safe to go, even with good cover.

I finally had to remove one of the males and would have removed both but the other was too sneaky to get even after over 1-1/2 hours of trying! I also totally rearranged the tank. I'm still getting some harrasment but nothing like it was.

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
yes, my kribs are beating the snot out of all fo the other fish... so it may end up being a very nicely appointed fry tank. My fire gourami has taken a bad beating. I notice that this AM. he is going to the LFS tonight to see if they will hold him for me or adopt him out. I love that fish and hate the fact that he has been beat on. His sides are pretty rough (not sure what happened last night, but he didn't fair well). The platys stay away, far away. The corys get in the way a bit too much for my liking, but they just dart under the plants and evade the krib mostly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store