Australoheros n. sp. red ceibal "Centurion"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Their colors and patterns bear some resemblance to my A. oblongonum, but they look like they're longer-bodied and larger overall. How big are they? Are they fully grown, or a young breeding pair?

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
The ones I have are about 2.5" and very young. They are in a 90 with another female. The fry disappeared a couple days ago, so probably will take a few more tries or separating them to get them grown.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
My pair was sharing a tank (30 long) with another non-breeding pair. They were excellent parents up to a point, which seemed to last longer with each successive spawn. The first time they did hatch the eggs, but the wigglers disappeared before they were free-swimmining. By the 5th (and final) time around the other pair had been moved out, and the fry were free-swimming for a couple weeks before they started disappearing. Apparently it wasn't just the other pair that were picking off the fry.
I did find 3 fry each from the 2 previous spawns that had managed to survive on their own, and I have between 1-2 dozen from the last spawn growing out now. I moved the parents to a 55 to take a break from spawning, and to allow several broods of BN fry as well as the little cichlids to grow out.
Do your pair hang the wigglers among plants, or keep them in pits dug in the substrate? Mine haven't stopped showing their spawning colors since they started, even after being moved to another tank. I really like them, mild-tempered fish overall, and great colors/patterns.

Jason_S

AC Members
Oct 24, 2006
these are very cool looking cichlids....hadn't seen pics before. thanks for posting :D

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
They spawned again and this time the spawn was probably 3x as big, but I noticed a lot of infertile eggs. My friend is supposed to bring me another male, so hoping to get 2 pairs going. The next time they have free-swimming fry I'm going to remove the parents and see if I can get them past the critical stage.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Siphon them out about a week after they're free-swimming, the parents will eat them when they're getting ready to spawn again. I had 2 pairs of A. oblongum in a 30 long. One pair spawned repeatedly, the other pair not at all. When the extra adults were moved to another tank (swapped off) the new owner ended up with 2 pairs, once again only 1 pair spawning in the shared tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store