200 Gal. Paladarium??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MrJones_0312

Registered Member
May 7, 2009
Hey, just picked up a 200 Gal. aquarium(long) and I was thinking about going with an aggressive tank like I had before. Now that I've seen some of these well established paludariums online, I am definetly thinking about going that route. I need as much information and suggestions as possible.....basically anything that can help get me started. Just to give an idea, all I have is the tank and stand. I need suggestions on filtrations, whether to do undergravel or canister. Also suggestions on lighting, what type of environment would be hardy for a first-timer, different types of aquatic life, basically everything. How would I go about adding a waterfall? I have plenty of time, several months to get it set up and I am in no hurry. Also, are there any reptiles such as snakes that can survive in that sort of habitat? I know I read something about garter snakes but any info. that I can get would be a huge help. Also, if you have any types of links to informational sites it would be appreciated. Thanks.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Really, one of the questions to answer first is: What are the dimensions and what kind of critters do you want to keep? And do you want an actual paludarium or a vivarium? If you are going to have any large bodies of water, you must be careful with dart frogs, most(if not all) are not good swimmers and can drown.

Snakes are definitely a possibility, but there are several potential problems with them: They can mess up a carefully set-up environment, they are great escape artists, larger snakes are somewhat messy, and they may eat other inhabitants.

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
a giant mudskipper tank would bring people here to there virtual knees, besides, mudskippers are the best of both worlds since they live in the water and on the land. it would have to be brackish, tho not really a problem

MrJones_0312

Registered Member
May 7, 2009
Thanks to everyone for their input....I'm lovin it. I was hoping to build it up as a semi-aggressive paludarium. I'll definetly take anything and everything into consideration. Hope everybody has an outstanding weekend.

Last edited:

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Mudskippers are quite semi-agressive ;)

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
yea, the africans dont take crap from nobody. and if you have a good 75 gallons of water you could keep an archerfish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store