Bristlenose / Clean Up Crew

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

superstein61

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Ok, I am going to be stocking a new 72 Gallon tank soon and was trying to plan out what fish for my cleanup crew.

I am still debating but will likely stock this with clown loaches, angel fish, a shoal of rummynose tetras and perhaps some small peaceful cichlids (the alternative is to go basically with cichlids and the clown loaches).

I haven't had bristlenose's before (I had a clown pl*co in a 29 gallon tank) - but was thinking of adding a few of them to take care of the algae.

My question - how many bristlenose's would you recommend to handle the job in a tank this size? If more than 2 - could I mix in some other pl*co (like a clown, leopard or zebra pl*co) without any problems - and if so, what would you recommend and why?

Thanks

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I would go with 3-4 bristlenose. You could easily mix in some other plecs--as long as they won't hurt the bristlenose. I have a chocolate, 4 bristlenose and a butterfly in my 40, and the bristles are the best cleaners of the bunch, and I supplement them with wafers as well. I'm moving the other kids into a different tank soon, and am hoping the bristles will breed (once the girls hit adult hood!)

Make sure you have lots of hiding places--they like their own little cubby, especially the males.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
I agree with ORION! I have albino bristlenose pleco's and they BREED LIKE CRAZY!!!! So many babies..

superstein61

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Yes, its the All American Glass Bowfront tank. Looks really great !!!

My LFS was having a 10 year anniversary sale - and had one reef ready (with the built in overflow) on sale for a ridiculously low price. I saw it and said I have to have it - LOL. Then it was just a matter of convincing the wife we needed it ;)

Skippy

Grand Poobah of Fun
Aug 22, 2000
Dallas, TX
web.of.slacking.net
I have a 6 inch long male who is a GREAT cleaner. I hope to eventually find a female here locally to give him some company.

I have not had alot of experience with bristlenoses. Will they go after plants much? The one I have is in a mostly non planted tank so I havent had the chance to observe how they might react around delicate plants and such.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
My bristles haven't hurt any of my plants. They clean those with larger leaves, and ignore everything else completely. They do adore zucchini and veggies!

superstein61

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
So 3 or 4 bristlenose's wouldn't be overkill in a 72 gallon tank?

Would 2 (hopefully a male/female pair) be insufficient to keep the algae clear?

BTW NJ Devils Fan - yea, thats the same tank. My LFS store had the tank, hood, light, stand, AND predilled and already installed overflow for $300 during their 10th anniversary sale. The week after, I saw it back up to $490+ (the reef ready built in overflow and predilling adds quite a bit to the cost - plus they kind of went crazy on the price during thier anniversary sale). Good luck with yours - I can't wait til I get mine all set-up and stocked. I am putting the final touches on some fake stone wall that will partially cover the back (carved from styrofoam, finished with an epoxy and sand mix). Hope to add water this weekend and start fishless cycling it

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store