STOCK LIST Ideas for 72 Gallon Bowfront Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

APAC

Amateur User
Feb 25, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
So I will be setting up a new stock list in my 72 gallon tank within 2 months and I am already trying to plan out the stock. I havent had many small fish so suggestions would be really helpful as to what kind of smaller fish would look great in a tank this size.
Heres what my idea was:'
1 baby senegal bichir(already have, will move to 125gallon when matured)
5 Tiger barbs (already have)
7 Painted Tetras (gf's fish)
2 Emerald Cories
2 Panda Cories
4 Emperor Tetras
4 Denison Barbs
1 Farlowella Cat
I was wondering if this combination of fish would be pleasing to see in a tank and if this would be overcrowding at all.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Bichir should stay out of the list. You have many fish that will end up in its guts. Add more cories, denison barbs and tiger barbs.

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
This is my 2 cents. YMMV

In the 20 years I have been keeping fish I have learned that the most pleasing fish tanks are the ones with the fewest species. A big school of one fish is SOOOO pretty. That's why we all go nuts at the pet store. They look so good when they're all together and all the same. Mix em all up and it looses something - something major. I would skip the emperors and denisons and stick with a big school of the tigers since you have them already. I have tanks full of motley crews and I wish I had gotten this advice years ago.

I am not sure your painted tetras will not be tortured by the barbs. Put them all together and see what happens, you might have to pick one or the other.

You can (and should) add some bottom feeders, but again, pick the one you like best.

serissime

second-guessing
Nov 24, 2008
I dunno what the stock limit is going to be in this tank, but as for the species you have, it would benefit the barbs, tetras, and cories to have bigger schools. I'd say at least 6 per type of cory and 10-ish of each tetra. I know nothing about farlowella cats.

Personally, I think that a few large schools of fish look better than many smaller schools.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store