Male Community Beta?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
ok... so I have had a female beta in my community tank for a while now

but... she has dropsy and is in the hospital tank

its not looking good for her... I think im going to euthanize tomorrow-- she is suffering greatly

anyways.. I went into the LFS the other day.. and noticed that my fish guy has a MALE beta in with a bunch of guppies in a 75g.. this is a personal tank of his..and he is pretty knowledgable

he says they do fine together....

I have never heard of keeping a MALE in a community setting like that...but I would really like one now.. once the female dies of course

Can I have a male beta in my community tank?

current stock is guppies, mollies, platies, plecos, cories, danios, and neons?

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
Nobody?

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Depends on the personality.

clb2196

AC Members
Feb 21, 2009
Mass
I was considering doing it with my tank. Like DP says, it comes down to personality. Some are okay, some aren't. They can also be stressed out by fast moving fish like danios, which is why I decided not to.

ChrisK

AC Members
Aug 10, 2008
Sulphur, LA
I've always kept other fish with my male bettas, and never had a problem with the betta bothering the others. Now my Zebra danios I had a long time ago did bother my male crowntail betta chased, and nipped at its fins.

Cluunox

AC Members
Feb 6, 2009
home.comcast.net
The one I had in my old 32gl did not like anything that had finage or color to rival his and some fish liked to nip his fins but its been long enough I can't remember what ones specificly nipped.

justahannah

Fascinated newb
Jul 29, 2008
Tacoma, WA
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Hannah
Definitely depends on personality. My current is fine with everything listed in my sig, but it's hit and miss, I've had to rehome due to aggression issues as well. Seems to help to keep them in a breeder box for a day or so to get used to the activity around them if it's been in a cup/isolated.

Deanthoreu

its: Dean Thoreau
Mar 11, 2009
near Philadelphia
I jont know I have had male bettas in community tanks for years. right now we have one in the guppy tank.....(guppies, mollies, zebras couple cories and the betta) and have one in the asain biotope...dwarf locahces harlequin rasboras, kuhli loaches,glass cats....
no problem.....actually never had a problem...to me they always add something to a tank. and i have never had a problem.
I always thought the rule was not have more than one male betta in a tank cause they would fight...not the concern of fighting other fish.
I would not put them in with barbs or other fin nippers tho....

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
some male bettas may view the guppies as other male bettas due to the vivid colours and longer finnage, but as others have mentioned, it is dependant on the betta's personality.

a friend of mine has a male crowntail in with some balloon mollies in a 25 gallon and he does just fine, but he's an extremely mellow betta.

try it, and if it doesn't work, be prepared to set up a lil solitary confinement tank for mr. betta or take him back to the lfs if they will allow that.

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
yea... I think I will give it a shot

if he doesnt work out I will exchange him... and if that one doesnt work out either I will just buy a 5g for him lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store