Idea... need feedback...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
Ok so I have this 20h sitting around that I am itching to use for something.

I have an idea

I was thinking of taking a 2.5g, or 5g (whichever fits better) glass tank that I have, and putting it INSIDE the 20g-- filling it with dirt, and making it like an island kind of

I would put land plants on this "island"

and then fill it with water up to the dirt line... the water would contain something (dunno yet)

then i guess I would do some sort of rain system

any ideas, or feedback here?

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
This sounds like a really cool idea. This might be an incredibly stupid question, but what would you do for drainage on the smaller tank that is submerged? If you are doing land plants, wouldn't that be a problem? I wonder if you could do some kind of wicking configuration like they use for the Earthbox planters?

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
This sounds like a really cool idea. This might be an incredibly stupid question, but what would you do for drainage on the smaller tank that is submerged? If you are doing land plants, wouldn't that be a problem? I wonder if you could do some kind of wicking configuration like they use for the Earthbox planters?
well.. it already though of this a bit

my plan was to not have any water going into that tank at all-- the rain system would be aimed away from it... i would water the 'island' by hand so to make sure not to flood it

it still may be an issue that need further thinking though

justahannah

Fascinated newb
Jul 29, 2008
Tacoma, WA
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Hannah
Maybe fill the bottom portion of the smaller tank with gravel, so excess water can drain into that instead of constantly saturating the soil..it's what I do for my potted plants w/o drain holes.

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
Maybe fill the bottom portion of the smaller tank with gravel, so excess water can drain into that instead of constantly saturating the soil..it's what I do for my potted plants w/o drain holes.
epic idea

I have lots left to plan on this project.. so additional feedback is appreciated

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
you could a planted tank in the water with anubias and do a amazon sword in the smaller tank so it grows up into the air!( just an idea)

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
you could a planted tank in the water with anubias and do a amazon sword in the smaller tank so it grows up into the air!( just an idea)
so the tank would be fully submerged then?

deeleywoman

All men are equal before fish.
Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
in addition to the gravel drainage, you could also go for plants that don't really need much watering at all- plants that could live off the humidity produced by the rainfall and water in the rest of the tank wouldn't cause a drainage issue at all, and may translate into less work overall for you.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i'd go with some sort of 'trailing' plant that would eventually grow out of the inner small tank and float on the water of the larger tank (which allows you to go with a non-aquatic plant as long as it wasn't toxic to the fish?) and have some sort of creature (fish or invert) that like floating plants. i personally would try a shrimp tank with a small school of lil bright coloured fish, if there is enough room left over in the bigger tank for a decent size school.

dang you! now i have a plan forming for one of my empty 10's and a 1.5 hex. dang you! thought i had a temporary handle on my MTS...... lol!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store