Debauwi catfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Hey gang. I just purchased 8 of these crazy cats to go with the 3 I've had for 7 months or so. When I had the 3, they were always hiding out in the plants and rocks, pretty much keeping to themselves. I knew they were supposed to be schooling fish, but I have never been able to find any more 'till recently. Well, let me tell ya - they are schoolers ! I've had these for about a week, and they are more active than my sids ! They swim mostly mid tank, and never stop. Never ! They first caught my eye a while back 'cause they look like mini irredescent sharks, which I like, too. But these only get 2 to 3" in length. So, if you're looking for a cool, schooling fish that never stops and that are relatively inexpensive, check these guys out. Unfortunately my camera is out at a dude ranch this weekend (no, I'm not with it !), so I don't have a pic of the whole group. Don't even know if I can get a pic of the whole group ! I'll try later, tho. For now, this is all you get ! Sorry. This is how they behave when there's only a couple.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
They were VERY shy "till I got a group of them ! I now have 11, and I keep them in my community tank. I have 10 sids, 5 rasbora hets, some sewellia lineolata, 2 SAEs, 2 fw flounder, and a bunch of small plecos in it. And 4 orange laser cories. They are definitely not shy in groups ! My camera comes home today so I'm gonna try to get some pics of them.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Yes, it is the tank they bred in, and no, no more fry lately. I lost the parents and all my adult lineolatas a while back. Never did determine the reason. Also lost 2 SAEs at the time. I have since replaced that colony with another. I still have the only 2 fry I found from that group. I'm hoping this new group will carry on where the last ones left off ! They may still be a little young (?), not really sure.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Got some pics, but they won't pose !

Ok, camera is back with me. I tried for over an hour this AM to get some "good" shots of the cats, but they just never stop ! So, for now, this is the best I could do:
Full tank shot (46BF)

Even the sids are getting into the action !

the dabauwi cats are the blurs !!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
The blur gives a sense of movement anyway. Nice of the sids to pose. Tank looks like it was to be your plec breeding colony, now just dormatories? I can't imagine sids with any eggs, were they there with sewellia eggs/fry?

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Yes, the sids were there with the sewellia fry, but only about 1/2 dozen. As you can see, tons of places to hide eggs. Then again, that might be why only 2 fry survived ! The tank was started as a community tank, then I started adding plecos. The first was an L007b that started in my 10 gal for the first year, then I got an L015. Now it also houses 6 x L333s, and 4 x L399s. All living happily together, each with his/her own cave. There are about 15 caves in the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store