Goldfish with anal problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Beneath is a photograph of Zeus, who has marked swelling around the anal opening. The fish had been in hospital for about three weeks due to an injury to the fin and side I thought was caused by an aquarium ornament. Treated with water changes and melafix. One week into quarantine, developed what seemed to be symptoms of flukes (loss of appetite and continued flashing), so I treated with praziquantel, figuring that I had misdiagnosed the cause of the injury and that it was actually the result of earlier flashing that I had failed to notice. Fish did fine on recommended dose of prazi and side and tail were completely healed when I reaclimated him to the main tank last week. As you can see, he now has what looks like a protruding anus. There is no flashing activity or any other symptom of parasites. Eliminating normally and shows no signs of victimization from other tankmates. I'm sorry for the horrible pictures. The photo makes it look larger than it is. Any guesses? Some parasite that was not intially knocked out by Prazi?

better anal fin.jpg

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Hi, Flaring. Thanks for attempting to answer this one. Zeus ( possibly Hera-LOL) is about a year old, unless stunted before purchase. Bought the fish from LFS when about 2," and have had it for about 8 months. Now he/she is about 4". Could be approaching adulthood. It's kind of hard to tell ages when you aren't purchasing from a breeder, so may be older. I thought perhaps it was a "she" and she was coming of age, as there isn't a cottony surface like a fungus, and it isn't red or inflamed. Thanks again for your help. I was hoping someone would chime in on this not-so pretty topic.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
I'd noticed something like this with my big fantail and got worried. Tried to find something to help with a prolapsed vent... I thought it looked really bad. Not long after that, she spawned. Fantails have such a fat belly anyway, I had no idea she was carrying eggs.

I never managed to get a clear enough picture of it to ask anyone back then. I can't tell from yours either if this even looks the same. Still thought I'd mention it, just in case that's what this turns out to be. I thought mine was way too young for that to happen... she was still under a year old.

Last edited:

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Honestly, it sounds as if a name change is in order. "She" is in the tank with two juveniles, so They probably couldn't care less about spawning. I think that I am going to go with that theory unless the goldfish gurus find something else or there are some other presenting symptoms.

Mine won't hold still, either. I guess I could sedate him/her and take a photo, but the trauma doesn't seem worth it unless there are other presenting symptoms or the fish seems to be showing some sign of distress.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store