'Instant' cycle using livesand, is it possible?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

VanQvreef

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
Vancouver
I have had my RSM 130d set up for over 5 weeks. I started with 30lb of uncured live rock and Livesand from Nature's Ocean as recommended by my LFS. I have not had an ammonia of higher than .3, it's now 0 as well as never having any Nitrites or Nitrates.
I have a clean up crew that has been working well for a couple of weeks.

Is it possible that the claims that the livesand that I bought gave me an 'instant cycle' and provided all the bacteria to support my tank?

I didn't believe the claims actually and have been expecting my tank to cycle for weeks.

Anyone ever use this or a similar product with any challenges?

FishWhisperer.

SCUBA DIVER, SKIER, REEFER
May 9, 2009
Have you had any algae blooms at all? Usually when there's an algae bloom, and then when it goes away, your cycle is done.

VanQvreef

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
Vancouver
Yep, had a pretty significant bloom, and still some macroalgae left. But turbo snails and emerald crabs keeping things cleaned.

This is my second set up, and it surprises me that I didn't have and still don't have any numbers in Ammonia, nitrates, nitrites or phospate. Maybe this livesand stuff does cycle things quickly.
Bring on the corals !! (still gonna take it slow, just impatient)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store