Discussion: Quick Hospital Tank Setup Procedure

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

beblondie

grand high exhalted poobah
Mar 25, 2005
quarantine and isolation serve basicly the same purpose Noun: a state of enforced isolation. so pick one or the other.I'll be back

beblondie

grand high exhalted poobah
Mar 25, 2005
seems like a long walk to say this
QUARANTINE
Noun: a state of enforced isolation.
Why should we quarantine? In particular our bichirs are mostly wild caught this can lead them to be
carriers of all kinds of nasty things.And the importers can't catch all the bad stuff some of which may
not be evident for several days or weeks.It is far easier to observe and fix one fish than an chance
infecting an established tank.
There are two ways to quarantine new fish one is a basic bare tank.This is not a long term display
tank its meant to be emptied and cleaned and stored after the quarantine period. It can also do duty
as a hospital tank if and when the need arises. A tank sized to fit the specimen should be used for
this purpose Remember this is for temporary use.
Why don't we qaurantine?Simply because we are in a hurry to show off our new fish.However after
you have done this and wind up with a tank of sick or dying fish you will understand the importance of
quarantining fish.this applies to store bought feeders also.
The Tank 1
This is as simple as it gets Filter, Heater, and some plastic plants or some kind of structure tohide in simple huh like I said its not long term .4 weeks in most cases should be fine.Its not pretty but its not supposed to be .
The Tank 2
You setup the tank with substrate,plants, decorations as you would any display tank and add the new fish and nothing more.Any future purchases for this tank will need to QT in a tank1 setup.
The Hospital Tank Is basicaly a tank 1 setup its use is to isolate and treat sick or damaged fish not long term use As little decoration as possible is involved and the amount of water should be measured so the correct amonut of medication is administered contrary to popular belief all tanks are incorrectly sized and hold somewhat less water than stated.Just my opine -me

Apr 2, 2002
New York
There is a difference between quarantine and isolation.

Quarantine is to protect the general population from disease or parasitic infection by those put into it. Medicating should be expected/planned on but may not be needed.

Isolation is to protect those put into it from physical harm from the general population. Isolation can be long term, as in a sw refugium, or short term as for picked on fish to get respite from being attacked and/or heal up unmolested. Isolation spaces are often connected directly with the main tank and are not for medicating.

At least that is one person's opinion :)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store