are clown fish a hardy fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

melissadotson

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
parkersburg wv
i was told that when you are cycling a new tank that you can first add damsels..i was also told that clown fish are hardy and also can be added to a tank while cycling cause they are in the damsel fish family..is this true? any info is greatly appreciated..and thanks in advaced...

melissadotson

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
parkersburg wv
ok thanks but how long should i wait to add clownfish? i just set up a new tank about a week ago..? i only have asome sand and live rock in there now..and thanks in advace...

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
Are you testing the water? You need to watch Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. When they hit ZERO you should be good to go for a fish or 2.

melissadotson

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
parkersburg wv
yes i actually have been taking a sample to my LFS and havein them test it for me..cause they do it for free..plus they can get a better ready than i can

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
sort of off topic funny clown fish story:

I have always wanted a pair of clownfish, wanted them long before that **** movie came out (I swear!). I love symbiotic relationship and always thought they were one of the most interesting.

Anyway when I decided to invest in a SW tank I got some help from my local LFS. They had a big batch of tank bread false percula's and I decided I wanted two. Guy at my LFS told me they were a bad idea, I should get a clarki. I said no... I want percula's. He said they were fragile fish, that the likelyhood of them bonding with an anemone was almost 0, and that the likelyhood of them bonding with one another was even more slim. I said oh well, I've always wanted them since I was a little kid, I'm getting them and I'll take my chances.

A year later, they are healthy as can be (colors are bright and they are very active). They spend all their time cuddled up together, inside one of my anemone's.

So moral of the story? Always listen to your LFS, but not really.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
sort of off topic funny clown fish story:

I have always wanted a pair of clownfish, wanted them long before that **** movie came out (I swear!). I love symbiotic relationship and always thought they were one of the most interesting.

Anyway when I decided to invest in a SW tank I got some help from my local LFS. They had a big batch of tank bread false percula's and I decided I wanted two. Guy at my LFS told me they were a bad idea, I should get a clarki. I said no... I want percula's. He said they were fragile fish, that the likelyhood of them bonding with an anemone was almost 0, and that the likelyhood of them bonding with one another was even more slim. I said oh well, I've always wanted them since I was a little kid, I'm getting them and I'll take my chances.

A year later, they are healthy as can be (colors are bright and they are very active). They spend all their time cuddled up together, inside one of my anemone's.

So moral of the story? Always listen to your LFS, but not really.
:lol: Nice story Ive always wanted clowns before Finding Nemo but still have yet to get anything SW. Glad it worked out for ya

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store