Huge freshwater tank setup- ideas/styles please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dtxlondon

AC Members
May 12, 2009
Dear all,

I'm a complete newbie to this aquarium hobby, but i must setup a very large, tall tropical freshwater aquarium in my new medical clinic. The dimensions will be:

width- 120cm

height- 260cm (1 metre for stand, 1.60 for glass)

depth- 50cm

So its rather tall and thin...i know this is not the usual aquarium orientation.

I've got a proffesional aquarium company building the custon tank...they are going to run all the filter pipes and tubes up one side of the tank and then hide it with coral/decorations.

So if you imagine the decorations will run from one side at the top down and then flows into the middle of the tank at the bottom.

Does anyone have any styling, design tips? I want to create a very 'glowing' fishtank but not too multi-coloured.

Any tips on types of fish, colour schemes, types of decoration would be really helpful.

Thanks

serissime

second-guessing
Nov 24, 2008
do you want a natural looking planted tank? I'm not quite sure what the builders are doing with covering up the filter pipes. Do you know what you are using for filtration? I don't think there should be much tubing running in the tank itself.

janis_aqua

AC Members
May 13, 2009
do it simply

if it's tall and narrow then i don't think you would need to put in so many decorations like plants and rocks. but since it's tall, you can maybe put some neat stuff like a good substrate of loose rocks and driftwood (make sure you weigh it down though). what kind of fishes do you want? it think for your set up, schools would be great and a couple of bigger fishes. they would be the highlight of your tank so no need for too much decor.

Last edited by a moderator:

CichlidWrangler

AC Members
May 10, 2009
WestCoast, USA
im a bit confused...

are you including the STAND as part of the measurment??

what are the measurments without the stand please.... the stand has nothing to do with stocking the tank lol

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Avoid the coral. Out of place in F/W and changes the water chemistry, not for the better for most fish.

Lighting is going to be a right bugger with that depth of water.

dtxlondon

AC Members
May 12, 2009
Thanks for all your suggestions.

To clarify, the actual tank (glass part will be 1.60 metres).
The tank builder said they need to run all the cables and piping up the side of the tank...i guess to power the lights at top?

Any suggestion on what decor would be suitable for disguise this? Driftwood?

No ideas on fish type yet...but i do like your suggestion about schools and a couple of biggies.

Cost Quotation coming today...fingers crossed.

dtxlondon

AC Members
May 12, 2009
also...i know the light is going to be tough...any ideas how to light-up the whole tank? How do the big aquariums do it?

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
Wow thats going to be an expensive tank, a tank that deep is going to have to be made of 20-25mm thick glass. I hope you have a concrete floor that tank is going to weigh over a ton. Lighting a tank that deep is going to be very hard.

CichlidWrangler

AC Members
May 10, 2009
WestCoast, USA
guys its not that huge because its narrow.. only about 168 gallons

a good sized tank.. but I know people that have 1000G plus

so the weight of this isnt gonna be a huge issue.. but the lighting might be because its so tall

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store