Eibl's Angel or Mimic Eibl's Tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cjtabares

AC Members
Oct 17, 2007
Bristol. RI
I have a 100gal reef tank and wanted to add a Eibl's Angel, i saw the Mimic Eibl's tang the other day and was wondering if i should try it.

The Angel is smaller and requires a smaller tank but there is a chance it will nip at coral the tang is a bigger fish but is safe with coral. I have never seen the tang in person is it as nice as the angel? Will the Mimic Eibl's Tang be ok with a yellow Tang?

Which fish would you add?

I currently have:
5 blue/green chromis
1 Yashia Goby
1 Yellowheaded Jawfish
2 Scotts Fairy Warsse
2 Ocellaris Clownfish

I wanted to add:
1 Yellow Tang

1 Eibl's Angel or Mimic Eibl's Tang

reefbumgm333

Reef Bum
Apr 19, 2009
Tulsa OK
Personally I would go with the mimic tang, they look very similar, but the tang will not harm coral or bother your other tangs. Not to mention they are hardier than the angel.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Definately true what Reefbumgm said, but I still have issues myself with people putting tangs in 4' tanks. I just don't think tangs belong in tanks that small. JMO though, there are literally thousands and thousands out people out there with 4' tanks and tangs that would disagree with me. All I say to that is go watch a tang in a 4', 6', and 8' tank and tell me if you notice a major difference in behavior. 4' tank, tangs always seem sketchy, stressed out, and on edge so to speak, were as 6' they seem more calm, but still a little stressed, but in an 8' tank tangs that I have seen in them all behave like they are in nature, casually swimming around the rocks nipping at the algae all day with not a care in the world about anything else.

So, with that said, I think an angel is better suited for your size tank, although again, what Reefbumgm said is correct, there is a chance the angel will nip at corals and also less hardy than most tangs, but the Eibli is usually pretty hardy compared to others like a Golden Angel.

cjtabares

AC Members
Oct 17, 2007
Bristol. RI
sorry my tank is an 100 long 72''x18''x18'' if that changes your opinion.

cjtabares

AC Members
Oct 17, 2007
Bristol. RI
Ok thanks and do u think the Tang looks as good as the angel?

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Hmmm.. mimic tang.. there are several I think. One is similar looking to the lemonpeel angel as juvis. If I remember correctly the mimic tang looks really ugly as an adult (I guess you can say that for most fish) but the mimic goes from bright yellow to "dirty tan" over time. I think the angel looks much better in the looks department. Obviously just my opinion.

So IMO, no, I really don't think the mimic tang looks very good especially comparing it to the many other tangs out there that looks much better. Heck, I think a yellow tang looks better "overall" than the mimic because the yellow keeps its coloring much better with age. If you are going with a tang I would really look at all the different ones out there. I have 2 favorites, the Powder Blue tang (not hardy at all though) and the Chevron Tang (great juvi colors, ugly adult, hard to find as well). The achilles tang is another one I think looks really good. The Clown tang as well, but I have heard those can be one of the more obnoxious tangs.

reefbumgm333

Reef Bum
Apr 19, 2009
Tulsa OK
I dont know much about Vivid Aquariums, but I would put more faith into Live Aquaria's research than Vivid's. I have never seen a full grown mimic tang before so I cannot tell you what it will end up looking like.
I have had an eibli angelfish and loved it, but I did not keep it with corals so I do not know if it will nip corals or not. Unfortunatly to poor husbandry caused by marine ich and the angel died becuase I did not quarantine newly introduced fish back then.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store