47 Tall, Questions, build thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

-[AnThOnY]-

AC Members
Jun 12, 2008
New Orleans, LA
Hey all I just got a 47 gallon tall, 18x20x30, im planning on setting it up for my girlfriend for her birthday with 2 seahorses, some live rock and a few long plants that will go the width of the tank (LFS has that covered :)) and well heres my plan so far for equipment, ideas? will this be good enough

Filter: Aqueon Power Filter (HOB) rated for 55 gal
2 Powerheads
Lighting: Nova Extreme SLR T-5 18" x 5-1/2" Saltwater; 40 watt

Going to be dosing calcium, magnesium and strontium, The seahorses need the calcium for their boney plates to develop good

I plan on creating a "column" of live rock right up the middle of the back wall with room to where i can hang the filter in the middle but not be able to see it, and possibly put the powerheads in it also, and the plants will go on both sides of it

Still have to build the stand, hopefully i will start that friday

Was also curious if anyone has any information on keeping sponges, i thought it would be cool to get some tree sponges for the seahorses to latch on too, but how would you supplement their feeding?

Any help much appreciate :)

-[AnThOnY]-

AC Members
Jun 12, 2008
New Orleans, LA
Just thought of something, could i use a 10 gallon as a sump? i have an extra one. How would i go about turning it into a sump without spending too much money

Thanks for any help

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I don't think there are many people on here that have seahorse experience. Not an easy species to keep. I know you really have to take special attention to getting the tank setup just right for them. Your tank size sounds perfect, just need to get the equipment part right. For powerheads your definately going to want to go with something really low flow, like 2 Koralia1s at most. I don't think a sump is really required and will add a whole new level of complexity. If you do go with a sump I would take out one of the powerheads and use the sump return for flow. Normally that is a bad suggestion, but in a seahorse tank, from what little I know about them, I think that would be good.

Sponges and another difficult thing to keep in an aquarium. Beyond the normal hitchiker sponges you get on live rock, ones you buy online or LFS usually perish pretty quickly because at some point from the ocean to your house it was mishandled/open to air.

That light should be very good for your needs, maybe overkill. Not sure what a seahorses preference is to lighting myself. I know they don't require light.. just saying I don't know if they like to hang out lower in the ocean, in shaded areas, etc, vs towards the surface near the sunlight.

I just read they are super sensitive to temperature changes and the temp in the water can not exceed a 2 degree difference within 24 hours. THAT is very hard to do. From reading that on www.seahorse.org , depending where you live, 2 very good heaters (one as a backup) as well as a chiller are probably required to accomplish that. If that is the case, then a sump would probably be a good idea to hide equipment.

-[AnThOnY]-

AC Members
Jun 12, 2008
New Orleans, LA
yea i figured to go with that light because of watever plant i find to put in there, im going to be setting it up a couple weeks early to make sure its cycled completely, i already have an 18 gallon with live sand so i can take my new sand and seed it with the 20 pounds i already have, so i can check to temperature over a couple weeks and see how it fluctuates before i actually buy anything, i might just take the light off of the 18 gallon thats 18 watts, should be enough?

-[AnThOnY]-

AC Members
Jun 12, 2008
New Orleans, LA
Alrighty finally some pictures :) got my shipment in from drs foster and smith, got the salt some additives, emperor 400 filter and a spiffy heater

tank with stand not finished yet, still needs door stain and hood

front view, and new net

side view, heater

back of filter (thing is HUGE)

bio wheels

media containers, and here is where i have a question could i use phosban and or kents nitrate sponge in these media slots or would that not be a good idea

so now it begins :dance: got all the supplies for now, ready to start planning the setup

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Very nice.. when I hear the term "seahorse tank" the tank you have is EXACTLY what I picture in my head. I think that is going to be absolutely perfect for what your planning. Wish you the best of luck!

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
I believe it is called "Great Stuff" and comes in a grey color. One person that was in my reef club always insisted on using that on his back wall inside the tank to make it look like a rock wall vs flat and painted. Then he was able to put coral plugs in it with zoanthids and have the back wall grow with them. Unfortunately the guy was way to impatient and was changing out tanks and equipment almost monthly it seemed so we never got to see what an entire back wall of zoas would look like but it sounded cool.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store