Oranda needs Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rose_levi2006

AC Members
Feb 15, 2009
Minnesota
i picked up a new oranda tonight and its sick it just sits at the bottom of the tank with its head sitting on the bottom and it tends to swim sideways and upside down. i need some ideas on what to do. Thanks

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Here.

Swim Bladder Disorder
Symptoms:
Limited signs of bloat though usually no physical damage is found, fish struggles to balance itself sometimes going “belly up” due to lack of proper buoyancy

Causes:
Often indigestion with goldfish, blood parrot cichlid and “balloon” strains becoming more vulnerable to the disorder rather than most fish species, bacterial infections, damaged swim bladder, the use of floating foods which when ingested allows entry of air to the digestive system, congenital or development causes, birth defect, sudden trauma from sudden changes in water conditions or failure to acclimatize the fish properly.

Causes can be difficult to determine although possible causes are often leaned on the use of floating foods, indigestion and damaged organs by assumption. It has long been argued that floating foods should never be used at all especially for goldfish. It is in the best interest of the safety of the fish that sinking foods be used instead of floating foods or try to squish the foods until they sink.

Treatment:
Change of diet with foods containing high fiber content, fasting for several days or antibiotics. Unfortunately, there is no cure for such disorder although in some cases, the fish can recover depending on the cause of the disorder. Fish that suffer from this disorder due to sudden trauma from improper acclimatization usually will never recover at all. In this case, it is recommended to destroy the fish.

rose_levi2006

AC Members
Feb 15, 2009
Minnesota
well after watching him more today i have noticed that he is not swimming sideways now all he does is sit in the bottom of tank with his head in the corner.

rose_levi2006

AC Members
Feb 15, 2009
Minnesota
he is in a 55 with one other oranda temp is at about 72-74. nirates and ph is all good in the tank. In the tank i got him from he was doing the same thing i felt so bad for him i had to bring him home.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Rose, have you withheld food for a while as the treatment mentioned in the article posted by Lupin? If so, feeding some mushed up peas (skins removed) would be a high fiber food which also works as a laxative. This helps to clear out any food caught inside or obstructing the digestive tract, a common cause in many cases.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
i think it might have intestinal worms it has long white strings coming out of his butt. what do you do to treat it
Praziquantel or metronidazole, Rose. If not, go with fenbendazole.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store