blue gourami attacking dwarf gourami

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

deprimiert

Registered Member
May 14, 2009
I have a blue gourami female that will not stop attacking my male dwarf gourami. I have isolated the dwarf in a seperate tank, but would eventually like to move him back into my community tank. Is there anything that can be done other than getting rid of one or the other or keeping the male isolated? Thanks.

kyle3

AC Members
Mar 17, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
i think the key is to have more girls than boys -often anabatoid males don't share quarters very well, but mixed gender groups should still have 2-3 females for each male to disperse aggression. these are the things i've read on the subject- haven't kept them myself.

good luck!

cheers-K

Dec 20, 2006
Michigan
are you sure it's a female blue gourami? because i can see a male doing it, but not so much a girl. even so, it could just be because blue gouramis are so much larger than dwarfs. you might not be able to keep them together, you could try adding another female blue, but i don't really see that helping since a female wouldn't really be interested in another female. but in the event that your blue is actually a male, this would be a good idea. male gouramis generally can't be kept together.

yourchoice

AC Members
Aug 6, 2006
Toronto
If the tank is over 3ft long you could float some fluffy plant like hornwort in one corner and you might get away with the 2.

owl

\m/ \m/
Jul 8, 2008
dwarf and blues don mix , blue gouramis are aggressive ...

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Blues don't mix at all with dwarf gouramis...much to my disappointment and chagrin. We had a lovely fire belly that had to go live somewhere else because the blue gourami got a bee it is pea sized bonnet and decided to start fights...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store