Okay... So I'm Doing Tangs...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rich_one

AC Members
Nov 7, 2008
Maryland
Well, I have a new fancy now... African Rift Lake tank... Tangs, in particular. I have some of the rock work, more should be delivered today. once I have it in place, I'll see how it looks. also ordered 24 escargot shells... should be here in a few days. at the moment, I see my stocking list as:

2 Yellow Calvus
3 Black Comps
Starter Colony of Gold Occies (4 or 5, I guess, to start)
7 Blue Flash Cyps (not the jumbos)
1 L213 Pleco (maybe 2, but I am concerned about pressing the bioload at this point, so maybe 1).

I already know about the interbreeding issue with the calvus and comps... but I am not too worried about it. I have no plans on trying to keep or distribute any fry that manage to survive on their own in this setup. otherwise, I believe my rockwork will be sufficient to provide enough territorial hiding spaces where no one gets beat to death. Push come to shove, if I have to separate, I have other tanks, so it would only be a minor issue at best. This tank should be in full swing within the next 4 weeks or so... starting with the pleco, who goes in this week, then the calvus and comps go in around the 23rd, then the cyps and occies go in last around the beginning of June. I wanted to add a pair of Julies Transcriptus, but again, became concerned about pushing the bioload too far, so I left them out. Of course, pics... as bad as I take them... forthcoming.

any comments? I'm not terribly experience with tangs, so I certainly welcome any comments.

-Rich

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
What size tank is this? Even the non-jumbo cyps need at least 55 gallons, but I say 75 minimum. Also, they almost always do better in groups 10-12+, with the bigger the better.

With this being your first rift tank I would honestly skip them no matter the tank size. They are not easy fish from what I have heard and do not ship or acclimate well. A good group of them is going to be expensive as well unless you find a local breeder.

rich_one

AC Members
Nov 7, 2008
Maryland
What size tank is this? Even the non-jumbo cyps need at least 55 gallons, but I say 75 minimum. Also, they almost always do better in groups 10-12+, with the bigger the better.

With this being your first rift tank I would honestly skip them no matter the tank size. They are not easy fish from what I have heard and do not ship or acclimate well. A good group of them is going to be expensive as well unless you find a local breeder.
Wow... I did not put the tank size on here. DOH!:duh:

It is a standard 4 foot long 55 gallon. I did not want to overdue it, because it is not a 75 gallon or bigger. thanks for the advice!

-Rich

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I would then choose between the calvus and the comps. They are slow growers, but both would be overdoing it IMO when they are full grown. I also believe they can hybridize, although I may just be making that up...it's entirely possible. LOL.

rich_one

AC Members
Nov 7, 2008
Maryland
I would then choose between the calvus and the comps. They are slow growers, but both would be overdoing it IMO when they are full grown. I also believe they can hybridize, although I may just be making that up...it's entirely possible. LOL.
no sweat... I am not concerned about any potential hybridizing, since I have no intentions of distributing any fry that happen to survive anyway. These fish are juveniles that I am getting... my hopes are they split up on seperate sides of the tank and take up those separate territories... I create rockwork on both ends, hoping for that result, anyway.

I am still tinkering with all of this though. I keep teetering on one species or another until I start getting some of the cichlids in... first of which are coming this weekend!

-Rich

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Sounds great my friend just remember your Comps and Calvus will out grow the Occei's and eventually the Occei's will be on the menu.. right now they will be fine for about a year..

rich_one

AC Members
Nov 7, 2008
Maryland
Sounds great my friend just remember your Comps and Calvus will out grow the Occei's and eventually the Occei's will be on the menu.. right now they will be fine for about a year..
really? I knew the occie fry would be on the menu, but I have been led to believe, so far, that the occie adults were capable of standing up to the altos... not true? :confused:

rogersb

AC Members
Apr 9, 2008
Occies on the menu? I've never even heard of a calvus large enough for that one. My occies are a couple of inches and rather fat. I don't think a calvus could even think about it. Their fry, yes.

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
I would agree with JPappy about the Cyps. Too small a tank. If you get the Occies and Calvus/ Comps at the same size there shouldn't be a problem. With my Calvus being 3" + I have not been able to find large enough Occies to survive. 1" ers are quickly dispatched, both by the Calvus and Transcriptus.

rich_one

AC Members
Nov 7, 2008
Maryland
Well, the altos are juvies, so... aside from that, I suppose I will need to move the occies to another tank after I finish rescaping it then. since all fish are juvies, shouldn't have to worry too much between now and then, and then I'll just relocate the occies to another tank.

man... I swear I thought I researched this out pretty well.

as far as the cyps go, these are not the jumbo ones. everyone I spoke to, on many forums, have told me at least a 4 foot tank. my 55 gallon is a 4 foot tank. still too small? I don't get it.

I am pretty much committed to buying these fish now (deposit paid and such), and do not want to back out. I mean, is that the tank simply CANNOT work for the cyps?

After 20 years of fishkeeping on my part, I am pretty good about knowing what I am getting into before I get into it, and now, for the first time in a LONG time, I am feeling a tad discouraged about this. I'd hate to break my agreement with the seller after he's been willing to hold them for me... sigh...

maybe I need to start from the top and reconsider this stocking plan all over again (and anger one seller for sure...)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store