Petco Finally Liberates Betta from Cups

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Reframer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2009
Minnesota
I don't know if someone has mentioned this yet, but my local petco has finally came through and is now putting a betta in most of their tanks, along with signs that read "Bettas make great community fish with appropriate tank mates" or something like that. That's great!

Squeakfish

Fight the current!
Jan 9, 2008
SoCal
God, FINALLY.
I'm so tired of people looking at bettas and going, "Well, I like them, but I want PEACEFUL fish." Augh!

CichlidWrangler

AC Members
May 10, 2009
WestCoast, USA
OMG.. I wish mine would do this

people need to understand that the reason betas are sold in cups and not in large tanks is NOT because they are an overly agressive fish.. but simply because they dont play well with others of their own kind

bettas make a wonderful community fish, as long as there isnt any other bettas

I have a MALE in my 55g community tank.. and he is probaby the leasy agressive in there... my platies are more of a pain than he is by far

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
Lol... there were these early teen wanna be activists in LFS the other day... 'OMG, they must be so lonely in those cups! I just want to buy them all and put them in a big tank!' 'yeah, like my 12 gallon'

kokopuff

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
They did that at my local Petco, but they still kept a wall of betta cups, so I'm not sure much has really changed.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
12gal? Thats way to small to house a school of betta they would kill each other. I yi yi. Always wondered why is it when there in those cup that some places have it in like blue water???

engineer

Se?or Member
Mar 9, 2005
Kennesaw, GA USA
That's nice, but I hope they don't put them in with fancy guppies. My betta used to beat up all my fancy guppies and tear their fins up. I guess it was the betta-like colors? Anyway, he got his own 10-gal with slow-moving filter.

By the way, what's wrong with keeping them in cups, as long as they keep the water clean? Many betta breeders grow the fry out in small glass jars. Works great. Now, if they aren't changing the water in the cups, I could see how that would be torturous, due to the small volume leading to nasty water in no time.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
the deathcetera in my area no longer has bettas in cups, thank jeebus. but last time i was in i did not see any signs informing people of what you could/couldn't do for betta tankmates.

"12gal? Thats way to small to house a school of betta they would kill each other. I yi yi. Always wondered why is it when there in those cup that some places have it in like blue water???"

there is no such thing as a school of betta. even two male bettas in the same tank, even if huge, would most likely find each other, fight each other, and one would end up dead due to injury or ensuing infection.

as for the blue water, it is methylyne blue, a common medication that is supposedly pro-actively used to keep the bettas from getting sick. bullpoop i say. if the betta ain't sick, don't medicate, and if the betta is for sale, it should not be sick to begin with. i've watched the petsmart people unpack a fish shipment and the bettas came in clear water and they added the blue, and didn't even change the water from what they were shipped in. grrrr.... ok, rant over. lol.

"By the way, what's wrong with keeping them in cups, as long as they keep the water clean? Many betta breeders grow the fry out in small glass jars. Works great. Now, if they aren't changing the water in the cups, I could see how that would be torturous, due to the small volume leading to nasty water in no time."

betta breeders keep them in the cups and jars because they are not housing the bettas long term, they are raising them to sell, hopefully to somebody that will give it at least a 5 gallon long term home. as well, breeders do pretty much daily water changes, and that is one heck of a lot of work!

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store