Need an ID on this fish a friend is wanting to give me

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

A. Nonymous

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
A friend of mine says he bought what he was told was a "pike cichlid." He says it's extremely aggressive and kills anything in his tank other than a BN pl*co. I'm guessing this is probably because the pl*co is armored. Anyway, he's trying to get me to take this fish. I'm not sure what kind of fish it is other than that it's obviously a cichlid of some sort. I don't think it's one of the fish commonly labeled as a pike cichlid though. Here's a pic he sent me that was taken from a camera phone.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattsauer/2604148999/

I currently have an empty 10g and an empty 5g. I've got a 20g that has few enough fish that I could easily move into the 10g. I don't know what kind of fish this is so I don't know how big it's going to get, dietary requirements, etc..... Can anyone ID him for me?

A. Nonymous

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
I've not seen the fish in person so I have no idea what the fish really looks like. Could I potentially keep him as the only fish in the 20g?

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
I checked the profiles on cichlid forum and found a pic of an adult chipokae with that yellow on the fins, which is what I wasn't sure about:

Technically you can keep one in a 20 long not high, BUT it could grow to a little over 6", so I'm not sure how that'll work out.

A. Nonymous

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
Yeah, my 20 is a 20l. I've got a 75g, but it's planted so putting him there would probably not be a good thing. I've also got a 55 that's currently occupied by a 6 inch dempsey. Technically there's probably room in there space wise, but I have a feeling it would get violent very quickly and the smaller guy would not survive.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i would not advise to keep a cichlid that can reach that size in a 20 gallon.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I agree with Karl those Dempsey can not hang with most Mbuna.. especially this guy..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store