Black Moor

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

megoto

AC Members
Mar 26, 2009
Fort Lewis, WA
How many Black Moors can I put in a 55 Gal tank? They are the wife's favorite and as she is letting me upgrade to a 75 thought I would set up her goldie tank. :)

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Hi there, megoto. If she wants to stock the same type (black moors are considered fancies)... I'd be comfy with 4 of them in a 55 gallon. For stocking, we base this on 15 gallons per fish.. and that comes to 60 gallons. If she's interested in other varieties, the slower (wobbly) fancies are also good tankmates and are fairly interchangeable for stocking purposes. Suggestions such as orandas, fantails, ryukins, and other telescopes (like black moors).

I don't actually discourage some mixing between fancies and pond types (comets, commons, shubunkins, wakins). Just be sure to calculate those at 20 gallons per fish if you include any of these types.

The main setup difference to keep in mind for your wife's goldfish tank is to double up on filtration compared to normal freshwater tropical tanks.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
A 75g would be a much better goldfish setup but if you have your reasons, a 55g can work just fine. Please post pics of your new black moors and plenty of updates! I find black moors quite intriguing myself but I haven't gone back to them yet and have been maintaining my ground to fantails, ryukins, orandas and pearlscales at the moment.:)

megoto

AC Members
Mar 26, 2009
Fort Lewis, WA
as soon as I get to TX I will be setting it up. I will post picks when I get started. I was going to put 2 whisper 30-60 HOB filters on the tank. My reason for using the 55 for her goldies is because the 75 will be my first attempt at a Discuss tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store