Does Condy anemone need water movement?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nancyhoa409

AC Members
Apr 29, 2009
Bridge City, TX
We had turn of the water flow and the condy seems to be laying on its side. Not alot of movement. I think I am having alot of problems with the anemone. After this 2nd one, I believe we are not purchasing anymore.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Sounds more like a severe tank issue than an anemone issue. I had a condy for 7 years and it was the first "coral" I bought when I moved to reef. It survived all my mistakes when all my other corals didn't. They are usually very hardy compared to the rest.

Can you post your tank size, lighting, powerheads, water parameters (mainly nitrates, salinity, temp, and pH) and maybe we can help you. The fact that your anemone is still attached to the rock by its food is an encouraging sign.

YES, they need flow, turn the powehead back on. That is going to do more harm that good leaving it off.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
What other form of water movement do you have other than the powerhead? I recommend shutting them off when the anemone is first settling. Do not turn them on unless the anemone is firmly attached.

Blown 346

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Rockford Illinois
The only issue I see is new Anemone's wont attach right away, they can days to find a good spot. They need the water movement to find where they will be comfortable and happy with not only lighting but water movement.

I would run the pumps all the time.

Also what are your water conditions? How old is the tank? Is the lighting new/old? How did you acclimate it and for how long?

Anemones are very sensitive to any change in water chemistry. It can take a few days for a specimen to perk up unti it adjusts. How was the coloration? Was it dull and not very colorful? if so it could have been a new shipment and was still stressed, or wasnt healthy.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
The only issue I see is new Anemone's wont attach right away, they can days to find a good spot. They need the water movement to find where they will be comfortable and happy with not only lighting but water movement.

I would run the pumps all the time.

Also what are your water conditions? How old is the tank? Is the lighting new/old? How did you acclimate it and for how long?

Anemones are very sensitive to any change in water chemistry. It can take a few days for a specimen to perk up unti it adjusts. How was the coloration? Was it dull and not very colorful? if so it could have been a new shipment and was still stressed, or wasnt healthy.
New, healthy anemones should attach within hours. If an anemone is not firmly suctioned onto the rock, I repeat, do not turn on powerheads. I think you may be confusing attachment with permanence. Just because an anemone is attached doesn't mean that it can't or won't move. You just don't want a free-floating anemone with powerheads on. Trust me.

Blown 346

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Rockford Illinois
I agree on turning off powerheads so the Anemone wont get chopped up. My concern was the tank just sitting stagnant with no flow at all.

If you have a Hang on the back filter etc I would have that going.

nancyhoa409

AC Members
Apr 29, 2009
Bridge City, TX
thanks for everyone's help.... we are too late the anemone was found at the powerhead.... the tank is now very foggy and some of the tenacle remains are floating. *sad* we have tested the water parameters and the ammonia and nitrite seems to be elevated. we have changed the filters and hopefully it will clear up.

phreeflow

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
Do an immediate water change. There is now too much organic waste in your tank for the filters to process. Give the beneficial bacteria some help by doing a decent size water change.

If you do decide to try an anemone again, go with a bubble anemone...they are a bit more forgiving. It's also a great idea to get one with a clownfish to take care of it. They have a great symbiotic relationship and they clowns will help keep the anemone clean and will bring food to it.

Also, the clownfishes constant movement inside the anemone is beneficial. The clownfish species and the anemone species need to be compatible or the clown won't take it on as a host. When you go to buy the bubble tip, find one that already has a clown living with it. Most LFS have clowns living in some of anemones.

Also, light and water movement are very important to anemones.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store