I think my mosquito fish has a parasite

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
I was just feeding my pond fish and I say what looks like a long grain of whit rice attached to one of my mosquito fish. Everyone else looks okay and this one doesn't look in distress but what should I do?

ctbestfisherman

AC Members
Mar 22, 2009
Connecticut
It probably is a parasite unfortunetly. This isn't as much as a problem as it would be in an aquarium since a pond is larger. If you see it spreading to the other fish then you should do something about it. Since they are livebearers they will reproduce fast so the parasites shouldn't be a major problem but keep an eye out for more.

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Jacki, when the fish is large enough and accessible enough, you could manually remove an anchor worm with tweezers. Then if it leaves a sore behind, just dab that spot with 3% hydrogen peroxide or iodine/betadine to prevent infection. Can imagine this would be a daunting prospect in this case, however..... mosquito fish are so small. The goldfish and koi references I have saved seem to advise treatment with Dimilin. So check for this listed in the ingredients of any anti-parasitic treatment product you might consider.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Dimilin powder is indeed the best treatment but it is also toxic. Use gloves when you treat. It shouldn't be too difficult to remove anchorworms with tweezers from a mosquito fish if you are careful enough.

Good advice, Kash.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store