freshwater sump pump setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

razyboy

Registered Member
May 16, 2009
good afternoon,

i'm interested in creating a sump pump for a new 55gal tank. - most likely a 10gal tank under the 55gal. i'm interested in if anyone else has tried or had success, specifically concerning the following:

1) using it to house the heating
2) all the filter systems
3) aeration system - would this even be useful in a sump for the main tank?

any other thoughts or concerns?

thank you!

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
Is your tank drilled?
Sumps on freshwater tanks sould be a third to half the size of the display tank so a 10g is going to be to small.
IMO sumps on freshwater tanks under 100g arn't needed, you would do better and save money getting a good canister filter.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I made a sump out of a 10 and though it worked well, it's biggest failing was having to top it off daily. In spite of the covers I made, it still had a very high amount of evaporation. It did the intended job well and kept the water crystal clear, but I would not use less than a 20 in the future.

If correctly made it will be more than enough for a 55 FW tank. IF SW it needs to be 1/3 of display tank. You can make a spray bar for the return line to aerate the water.

Last edited:

owl

\m/ \m/
Jul 8, 2008
yup it s a good idea , if i didn t have this huge canister i would go for a sump for my 55 .
no need to drill the tank , use a overflowbox , i build several of them and can help u with that , and u can keep all medias and heater and aeration in there and still have free space ! , IMO go for a 15 or 20g for the sump ... not much difference in price but lotsa more room ;)

razyboy

Registered Member
May 16, 2009
thanks for the suggestions, it won't be a problem to go bigger - say to 15 or 20gal. putting all the media down below and out of the way was the biggest positive i had in mind. i also like the idea of a spray bar return.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Here is how I did mine. Disregard the HOT Magnum. I Keep it there between vacuumings. The top tote is 5 gallon filter and bio-media. The bottom is 28 gallon sump with a MagDrive 9.5 pump.

100_0234.JPG

100_0236.JPG

Spray bar return and you can see it "sprays" across the water surface to help oxygenate the water. I can adjust the angle at which it strikes the water. I prefer some surface agitation.

100_0239.JPG

100_0241.JPG

. . . and yes the room is a bit small it is the smallest bedroom in the house and has 5 tanks, file cabinet, and a couch in it.

100_0234.JPG 100_0236.JPG 100_0239.JPG 100_0241.JPG

Fishkeeper71

AC Members
Oct 7, 2008
Midwest dweller
Actually sump style setups filter more than you might think. Example I designed and built a sump from a 5 gallon glass tank I had lying around. I design them to accommodate Aqua clear media <They just are simpler and way more efficient>. After building the chambers and installing the media I found that 5 gal. tank holds more media and flows better than a Hang on tank filter designed to filter 100 gallon tanks and it cycles the water efficiently. A 10 gallon would work even better on your setup, don't get caught up in the GPH so much as how the filter is actually working, GPH is a guideline at best but with that 5 or 10 gallon sump your water quality will be pristine <Good media of course>. Good luck ;)

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
i wouldnt mess with a 10G sump bigger is better :) BUT if you have the 10G already and dont want to buy a bigger tank then have fun and build a small sump its easy and is a great filter.

flossyfloofloo

AC Members
Apr 14, 2008
nottingham england
i wish i could sump all my tanks lol . i swaer by them , 10x better than an external but plan ahead read up on the build and make sure you have room for draw back in a power cut

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store