10 gallon journal--L'?tendue sauvage majestueuse

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CrimsonBlush

Attemping to post rather than lurk
Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
crimsonblush.deviantart.com
Real Name
Miah
10 gallon journal--L'étendue sauvage majestueuse

I have had my 10 gallon aquarium for a few years, but up until now, it's been planted--with fake plants that is. :lol2: Anyhow I decided it's about time to get planted, and thus the journey began.

1 This is my tank as it was with fake plants...not too bad for artificial.

2 I bought some wood off of another fish website and started the loooonng process of gluing it together to make a tree. It took a lot of time for the super glue to dry so I had to tape the branches to things so that they would stay in place! (I apparently lost my photo for this one)

3 I then transferred my fish (3 betta girls and a molly) in my 5 gallon bucket for temporary housing while I redid the tank. I put the heater, thermometer, and a bubbler in there.

4 I then emptied my tank out the decorations, water and gravel

5 Then I cut screen from an old screen door for my moss carpet.

(A side note: I had to wait a couple days before I could get going on the next part. My dad had to stain a piece of wood to put under my tank and on top of the bookshelf. The bookshelf was starting to bow and I was worried. Notice in the next photo that the piece is in place. Because the staining was taking so long, my bettas started not getting alongs so well in the 5 gallon so I decided to remove the blue one who had the worst torn fish and put her in of large sized cool whip container. I added warm water several times to the cool whip container and gave her a fake plant to hid under.)

6 Thursday and yesterday I washed the sand and placed it, rocks I found in my yard, and my driftwood "tree" into the aquarium.

7 Now it was time for plants. all my plants came from DiezelEnstien. They were great! I first added flame moss to my screen.

7 After that, I added clear beading string to my try to help support the moss I was going to put on it.

8 Then I tied on the moss with thread.

9 Then I put everything into the aquarium including the fish and the rest of the plants. (I floated the fish in the water for a while to get them acclimated)

10 Today I cleaned up debree from floating moss that came off my tree. I also re-arranged it a bit.

Well that is all up until this point. I going to try DIY Co2 in the next few days.

Could somebody identify this plant?

Total cost of this tank: $58
Driftwood $20
Plants $30
Sand $4
New Thermometer $3
Super Glue $1
Screen $0 (already had it)
Rock $0 (in my yard)

My tank's name is L'étendue Sauvage Majestueuse meaning: The Majestic Wilderness. It reminded me of a tree by a bamboo forest in China.

This tank took at lot of time and effort. This is my first-ever planted aquarium. How did I do?

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
the plant is a amazon sword, ive got many plants if you want some. (just come pick them up and they are yours!)

rocker92

Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
btw: how old are you?

CrimsonBlush

Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
Real Name
Miah
the plant is a amazon sword, ive got many plants if you want some. (just come pick them up and they are yours!)
Thanks for the help and thanks for the offer! :) I unfortionately live about an hour and twenty minutes away from you. I would love to drive down there, but I don't think my parents would love to. Thanks so much for the offer though!

btw: how old are you?
15, that's why I can't go without my parents... :(

rocker92

Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
do you ever go to mankato? if so, belle plaine is right on highway 169...

CrimsonBlush

Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
Real Name
Miah
do you ever go to mankato? if so, belle plaine is right on highway 169...
I've probably been there once or twice, but not on a regular basis.

rocker92

Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
o, sorry i was just trying to get rid of some plants! i could ship some if you pay postage...lol

Luvbugz

The Suicidal Townie
Apr 18, 2007
Indiana
The tree idea is pretty neat. If I were you, I would forget about the other plants and just get some dwarf hairgrass to plant around your tree. If you could do a couple more trees like that, you could get a cute little mini forest going. Very neat idea!

rocker92

Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
^ that would be awesome!!!

akamasha

AC Members
Dec 1, 2008
Everett, WA
Thats a great start for not alot of money :D The plant looks similar to a plant i used to have . It was called Hygrophila corymbosa 'Siamensis'. Does it look kinda like this but smaller in person?

By akamasha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store