40 gallon breeder tank a nice upsize from a 20 gallon high tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allecb

AC Members
Feb 6, 2008
6 neon tetras
3 platys/mollies (dont know which)
4 serpae tetras
2 tiger barbs

obviously in a 20 im gonna be reachin my limits real soon if i get more tiger barbs..and when they get older im screwed.

so im thinking about getting a 40 gallon. 50-55 is a bit too much space wise for me right now. but theres an ad on craigslist for a 40 gallon BREEDER tank, which comes with everythig i need except water and fish for 50 bucks..i dont know if i should jump on this or not cause i dont know if itll be that big of a difference for the fish and the space ill have?

a 40 gallon breeder is only about 12 inches longer than my 20 gallon, and itll be 6 inches wider. however a 40 gallon long is like 20-24 inches longer than a 20 gallon, but theres none on craigslist currently.

would the 40 g breeder be alright? or is it a waste of time? cause i know these types of fish need swim room, and i feel like they wont get much swim room if its not length wise? i'd plan on getting a handful more of each species of fish that i already have (besides the plat/mol) and maybe get a blue ram in there too.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
love 40 gal breeders!

OldMan47

I love my endlers
Jan 1, 2008
Central Illinois
One of my favorite tanks is my 40 breeder. It gives as much space for the fish as a 55 without the long footprint. The only thing it is missing is the height of a show tank. Unless you keep tall fish like angels or discus, the height is not an issue but the swimming room is.

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
heck yeah go grab that tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store