Container pond as insect control/pesticide alternative?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mrbigmuscles

AC Members
Oct 30, 2005
michigan
I am an apartment dweller with a balcony on which I've got about half a dozen vegetables and herbs growing. Recently I came into a big fruit fly/gnat/whitefly problem, but I dont' want to use pesticides/insecticides (ideally I'd like to eat this stuff after all). I live in south Florida, temps are never lower than 80 outside - though this container would be in the shade most of the day.

Is the idea of a container pond of some kind, with say a few gouramis, a paradise fish (male/female pair) or some other insectivore doable here? What kind of container could I use, preferably not too large (wife has veto power here)? I'd like to see examples/pics of other people's setups, especially if you live in a hot/Southern state. Thanks!

eveliens

AC Members
Mar 5, 2005
NWA, USA
hubpages.com
I don't live in the South, but in the summer I've had good luck with: "feeder" guppies, paradise fish, gold & rosey barbs, golden wonder killies, rainbow fish, blue fin killies, and several different cichlids. I didn't have a big container-- just a little 20 tub tote from the dollar store. I did use aquatic plants to filter (and to cut back on algae). Unfortunately, I don't think I have any pictures.

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
sounds like a great idea to me, as long as you balcony can supprt the weight

mrbigmuscles

AC Members
Oct 30, 2005
michigan
Well, if a 20 gallon container weighs 200 pounds, that's only 50 more pounds than me.... other people have couches and have tiled theirs (tile+cement weighs a lot). So I think it would be okay? Eveliens, did you have any kind of filtration/circulation at all?

eveliens

AC Members
Mar 5, 2005
NWA, USA
hubpages.com
I didn't have any filtration other than the plants. Water hyacinth is a big nutrient hog and has pretty purple flowers. Plus, since it's a floater, the root gave the fish plenty of hiding places. I've actually been doing this for three summers (this will be my fourth-- my goal for today is to set up the little ponds) and have had minimal loss. In fact, it's been the opposite. Almost everything I've put outside has thrived and spawned.

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
I would maintain flow, to prevent mosquito spawning... of course, they would provide more food for your fish...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store