What is this Disease?! :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tamz273

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
Hey guys,
Its been a while since I've been on here, but its time for some of your expert help again..
About 50 days ago, I noticed a pop-eye in one of my fish. A week later he died. 2 days after he died, another fish died of something that I would describe as a "sandy" layer on its skin. The dots were too small to be Ick, but too big to be considered Odinium.. Within the next two days, I lost 4 fish (out of 9)
At that point I had someone from my LFS come and have a look. She said it was Brooklynella, and the only way to get it out of the system is to quarantine my fish for a whole 30 days.

I did that, and dosed my QT tank with QuickCure. Everything seemed under control, until I put my fish back in and about a week after they were back into the tank, my blue hippo started to show small white dots, again too small to be Ick. They seemed like tiny sand grains and they kept growing. My yellow tang was doing backflips in the water, and it was obvious that somethign was wrong. I went into the fish store and told my story, someone else said it was "Odinium" and gave me a "new" herbal treatment that hasnt been released yet.

I started using it and it seemed effective for the first 4-5 days (its a 10-day dose).. The fish were clean and no parasites where visible.. Now, on the 6th day, the blue hippo seems to have picked up those tiny sand "grains" again, and my yellow tang is acting all weird. Twitching and turning.

Does anyone have ANY idea what my problem COULD be?? Im trying to snap a good pic of my blue hippo but im having a really hard time!

Hi,

what are your water parameters at?

Sounds like Brooklynella to me. Most of the time, it goes undertreated. By which I mean the medication is underdosed.

Do you have a Reef tank or fish only system?

There are medications that would wipe both odinium and brooklynella out of the system, but they would be toxic to algae hosting livestock, such as corals. We use Chloroquine diPhosphate on a regular basis. No ill effects on the biological filter.

smp

AC Members
Mar 6, 2010
Spartanburg, SC
Just went through the same thing with my 55 gal. ALL my fish are gone. I didn't see the spots until my last fish, a blue damsel, and it died last night. The others just got lethargic or flopped around like you're describing in your tang. Weirdest part was that it happened one fish at a time. I lost 6 fish in 2 weeks. Still not sure what it is... Here is the link to the thread I posted and member responses.

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221174

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store