And it all started with just a tank...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

alleykat0498

AC Members
Oct 1, 2008
Virginia
I'm in the process of building a 40 breeder with a 29 gallon sump. I have had FW tanks all my life, and recently set up a 10 gallon nano (big mistake). Since the beginning of the nano set up my FW tanks have been a little neglected and I've focused all my energy and time on the smallest tank in the house. Then one day I started looking at all my larger tanks and thinking about swapping them over to a reef when I realized I was tired of the tanks themselves...

Enter the 40 breeder. I like this size tank for it's versatility and size.

Let the games begin.

100_1966.JPG

alleykat0498

AC Members
Oct 1, 2008
Virginia
A great "starter" size tank to throw yourself into....Look forward to watching the progress Alley..
Thanks Reef, I'm actually a little bit farther than just the tank ATM. I started last weekend. I have a few more pic's of the progress.

Stand framework:

Raw ABS plastic sheet:

ABS after about 15 trips in and out of a 275 degree oven:

Test fitting the overflow views 1, 2, and 3:

I also recieved 10 of these yesterday, 5 10k and 5 430 actinics. They are 24" and 14 watts a piece t-5's. I know they dont fit my dimensions but I'm sure I'll be able to use them at 4$ a piece...

On order= 5 3/4" bulkheads, Lots of loc-line and a diamond hole saw.
I'm running the light's on my nano and my zoa's and mushrooms are loving the upgrade from Pc's.

I'm planning a 11/2" drain to the sump with a closed loop running a squid to the top corners.

Last edited:

alleykat0498

AC Members
Oct 1, 2008
Virginia
Looking good so far.
Thank you!

Another thread I'll have to watch!!!! :)
Nice to have you in attendance!

So I've been trying to square up the overflow I made but it seems that every time I make progress on one side, it's managed to go out of square. I was trying to straighten out the wavy edges on the sides. The material doesn't stay pliable for very long when it's removed from the oven so it becomes hard to work with after about 10 seconds or so. I may just wait until I can get my hands on a heat gun and just heat certain area's at a time, the problem is that I may only need a heat gun this one time so I need to find one to borrow:confused:

I ordered all of the bit's and bulkheads on monday and most of them are coming from the oposite side of the country, so it looks like I'll be waiting on the ups truck.

Which gives me time to try and sell my 125 that is currently in the final resting place of this project. (it still has plenty of livestock in it) I'm trying to turn a buck on the stock from this tank to curb the dent in my wallet the project is creating.

I need suggestions for a skimmer for a tank this size that will fit in a 29 gallon sump and leave room for a fuge, any Idea's?

Phatboydime

AC Members
Dec 22, 2008
Ill be watching too. Cant wait.

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
Are you planning on drilling the glass yourself?

If so I am wondering how you plan to do it. I have a 40 hex tank sitting around I've been slowly turning into a seahorse tank and that is an issue I have not yet solved myself. I really don't want to do a hob overflow.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
I may only need a heat gun this one time so I need to find one to borrow:confused:
Harbor Freight may have one that would be cheap enough to keep around for later use.

I need suggestions for a skimmer for a tank this size that will fit in a 29 gallon sump and leave room for a fuge, any Idea's?
I've got the AquaC Remora Pro and it works great. AquaC has several types of skimmers.

owl

\m/ \m/
Jul 8, 2008
thanks to share the joy !!! :popcorn:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store