injured hoplo catfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

smokey70

AC Members
Apr 16, 2009
As of 2 months ago, I own a hoplo catfish (Megalechis thorcata, Hoplosternum thoracatum) forthe first time after several years in the hobby. I figured I was doing the fella a favor when I purchased him. The fish had been kept with an assortment of african cichlids and had been chewed up pretty badly. As in no fins, of any kind, left at all.

The fish has healed up well, and has seemingly adjusted to its handicaps. The dorsal fin has grown back a bit, and his barbels have grown out.

I don't have much experience with injured fish (other than some SA cichlids doing their thing to their roommates). How much of a recovery can I expect this catfish to make? I presume the pectoral fin spines and such will not grow back?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It depends on how much damage there was to the fleshy part of the fin base, where the thin part grows. Lots of clean water, good food is about all you can do. Any sign of whitish growth at the edge? After 2 months, I don't know...

Good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store