My Blonde Naso Disappeared!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hrcorrell

Registered Member
Dec 4, 2003
California
Visit site
I have a 100 gallon Reef tank. It is a well established tank that has been going for about 1 and a half years. I have aquired quite a few little critters and haven't experienced any problems. However, after purchasing an extremely large Sebae anemone last week, my 3 inch Blonde Naso Tang is now missing. Is it possible that the Sebae ate my Naso? I know it sounds weird but I can't find a body anywhere if it died. (When I saw that the tang was missing the anemone was curled up like it had just ate.) To be fair, I have quite a few different inverts in the tank itself. About 20 each of hermits and snails in varying sizes; also in the tank are 2 mythrax emerald crabs, 1 decorator crab, 1 coral-banded shrimp, 3 cleaner (skunk) shrimp, 2 sand sifters, 1 green brittle star, 2 lawnmower blennies, 1 mandrin gobi, 1 watchman gobi, 1 scooter blenny, 1 purple tang, 2 clownfish, 1 red anemone (about 4 inch diameter), 1 sebae anemone (about 16 - 20 inch diameter), and a lettuce nudibrach that just had babies. So the tank is healthy along w/ all it's inhabitants. I know the Naso is a rock dweller but I haven't seen it in 2 days. I've looked around in the tank itself, but I don't want to disturb it by moving rocks around any more then I have already if possible. Any theories on what happened? And if the anemone didn't eat it, should I break down my tank and try to find it? Or do I have enough scavengers in there to take care of it as long as I monitor my levels?

I'm really confused about this, could someone help me try to solve this mystery?

Kurt

AC Members
Dec 9, 2003
Saskatchewan Canada
Visit site
You should not have to tear anything down to find it if you have not already. I am guessing chances are that it died somehow. If you have 100 lbs of live rock, how much do you have? The live rock and tank size should keep your tank stable. I had a 75 gallon before my 200 and when something died I did not have any problems with water quality. My scavengers usually made short lunch of things. And also had an anemone that ate a fish once.

Pisces

Night Owl
Mar 4, 2002
Fayetteville, AR
Real Name
Lisa
I would suspect that the anemone had a snack. I lost a very nice sailfin tang to a large anemone in the past (the anemone ended up dying soon after that too, for some reason). I decided I'd never put another anemone in my tank ever again, I'm done with them. Though I still have a rock anemone that's been in the tank about 2 years now. So far he hasn't eaten anybody...that I know of.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store