wanted to get bubble tip or some kinds of anem,

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
lfs has a bobble tip that looks good, and i've read they are the easiest of all anem, is this true,. getting different reads about them some say feed reg others say light is enought and feed now and agin,..
they also have what looks like a condi,. but its sick looking?

first my tanks is 30g long and high turn over, 192w lighting pc 10,000k and antic,
set up well over a year,.
can i sustian one and how much of a hassel are they?

i have lm blenny and 2 black occel, clowns and few snails, and hermits,..
water is good,.. not showing nitrates or phosphates,. when water changing,
1 teeny frag of green zoas,.

any help would be appriciated,..

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I think condi's are easier than bubble tips to care for, but not by much. They are both fairly easy to care for compared to others like carpets.

Yes, that tank and lighting, while size of the tank sounds to be bare minimum, it would work for you. I have known many people to successfully keep BTAs under PC lighting for many years.. and less lighting than you have. Just be careful with powerheads and BTAs.. seen my share of blended BTAs because of powerheads.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
they all have sponges on them, but the skimmer is a cpr back pac and just has a little rounded entrance on it not sure how to or if i should cover it,.. plus i have a hob and a mag 350 that isn't covered,.. i wanted to rid these since i got the powerheads, but the hob grew a turf scrubber on the outlets and i didn't want to remove it and the mag has phospate remover stuff in it and thinking about usuing chemi pure elite any good?

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Chemipure Elite is very good stuff.. just very expensive. All Chemipure elite is, is really high grade carbon, some polymers like Purigen stuff, and GFO media for phosphate removal all in one convenient bag. There is nothing special in the bag that is exclusive to the chemipure name, but it is nice they do all the work and package it for you.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
what is the handling issue with them how do i get them here ?
and in the tank?

also how do i do water changes without getting them out of water? i usually do 20gal change on my tanks 2x a month,.
really can't do smaller one with 11 tanks i'm lucky to get these done,..

Last edited:

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
I bought a GBTA about a year ago. I love Anemone's and this was and still is one of my favorite and heartiest members of my fish tank.

That said, the thing splits constantly. I started with one, ended up selling 4 (with 4 left over) and an back up to 6 total again.

I used to sell them to my LFS, they loved them cause they were healthy and colorful. Now my LFS closed and I am afraid I am going to have to start killing the clones at some point soon :(

ktz216

AC Members
Dec 3, 2008
Ohio
I think the flower anemone is the easiest to to keep...but it won't host any clowns though lol.
Hey lanimret, wanna trade your GBTA for coral frags?

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
So you do a 20G waterchange on a 30G tank 2x a month? No biggie, anemone can be out of water the short time it takes to do a waterchange. I do 50% weekly on my 75G tank, or 32G of water.. actually comes out to a little more than 50% in water for me with my sandbed and rocks.. but who's counting.

When you get an anemone and bring it home, scoop it out of the back with your hand (after floating/drip acclimating them in the bag, or container of your choice) and then turn off all your filters and powerheads in your tank when you place the anemone. Cup your hand over the top of it and very gently let the "foot" touch a rock. Usually healthy anemones will attach very quickly to a rock, within seconds from my experience. Whether they stay in the spot you put them is another story, they will walk around the tank, still attached to rocks, to find the best place for them. Never move an anemone that has moved itself.. they move to where they like to be best, not necessarily where you want them, but that is where they need to be. Sometimes it is where you put them, sometimes front and center, but sometimes in the back behind some rocks. Once the anemone has firmly attached itself to a rock then you can turn your powerheads/filters back on.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
well i got back from lfs and they had 3 different anem, and i couldn't decide the condi was cheap 6.00something in change but i heard they get tangled too often in power heads,
then the bibbletip, at 45.00 was full blown, and white had the guy turn it over and the foot looked all hard and nasty not like the others,.. and last was the sebea, had 2 one ice white wpurple tip and grayish/tan with purple tip, looked like carpet anem, very contracted, had him tur it over and nice soft foot, clean looking for 30.00 well i took the sebea, then got home and looked it up and they say its the worst of all them,:shakehead::irked:

he's dripping now, look like heck when i got him out,
tried to feed it thawed brine shrimp and put it in its mouth and it set there and after a while in the specimin cup with a 10wcf light on top its little arms started to twitch and he started to wiggle each one,.. a bit ago it looked he spit slime out mouth,. after about hour or so,. i hope it makes it and not becomes a pain in the arse,..

also got a hawiian feather duster, nice one they had 2 but on wasn't attached to a rock, and i thought it would blow around my tank, it was the prettiest one tho,.. its having a feild day now bought some food for it,..

any advice for this dummy??????

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Stop making impulse buys. ;) Saying this from my own experience many many many times over. LOL. Seems to always be bad news when you get home and look up what you just bought after the fact.

Ya, seabae... well, you read it. Featherdusters are worms with a softshell, put them down low in a fairly moderate flow area. Just keep an eye on it, gently put in between some rocks and near the sand. They eat Phytoplankton. Keep an eye on the crown "feathers", make sure they look healthy and full. If they are looking frayed or curled up, or not coming out much, or worst, drops the crown off altogether, you have something wrong with your water parameters or flow for it. Even if it loses the feather top if you correct the issues it will grow a new one with time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store