!!!! What do I do??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TheIrishJedi

Abe Lincoln Sucked
There is a rainbow film on the surface of the water... I am going to do a water change.

I dont know where it could have come from. I have not introduced anything to the tank that I know of.

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
i get this too on my planted tank, i think its due to the oils in the food and the fact i have very little surace disturbance but im not sure, i just take it off with the weekly water change by submerging an empty jug into the water and letting water slowly slip over the edges so it sucks off all the oil into the jug. it takes a while but it works well.

kanvas

AC Members
May 12, 2009
Portland, Oregon
it's an oil film probably float off from you hand (natural oil or lotions) when you put your hand in the water. if you have a tube turn the end up just below the surface water, and let the film get sucked in, if you don't skim it with a small plastic cup.

Just wash your hand clean before playing in the tank next time.

DarrylR

AC Members
Sep 17, 2007
Maryland
Just need surface agitation, its like soup thats been on the table for a while and it gets that nasty surface film.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i get that film sometimes on my cichlid tank, but not 'rainbow' like you mention. i believe it is from extra proteins in the water that get there from feeding high protein foods, such as mysis shrimp, etc.

i agree with others, more surface agitation is needed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store