IT has BEGUN!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rithunder916

AC Members
Jan 7, 2009
West Greenwich RI
Real Name
Michael
Some of you helped me pick my selection of cichlids for my 75 gallon fish tank. Since Then I have had my desire to get this project rolling Sky rocket. So finally It has started. First step was removing the old.

Then once the old was out, it was time to clean, which I'm still working on now. The tank is outside being scrubbed. Today i went out and bought 100 pounds of my favorite black rock for substrate, and On my way home I stopped by the Home Depot. Where I picked up a box of all Natural slate, and a tube of ge silicone 1. While the tank is soaking outside, I have layed out and broke up my slate to make caves. I have a UGF that I bought for the tank years ago, which will be turned into a RUGF. I was going to buy 4 marineland 660R's but at 40 bucks a peice at the local pethole, I decided against it. I opted for a unique looking powerhead. I bought it for 20 bucks, and from another project, I had a bunch of threaded fittings. SO i started matching them up to find that the pump had 1/2 or 5/8 threaded NPT fittings, I'll have to check again later, I can't rememeber of hand if it's 1/2 or 5/8 it pumps out 225 gph, so I figured 4 of them would be more than what is needed.

Now heres the cool part, a typical uplift tube is 1" wide. I have a fitting that goes from NPT male, to 1" pvc. the Uplift tube fits loosely into the pvc fitting*evil thoughts* and I have silicone *starts to laugh*......

For the background I will go black however I don't want to paint, since this tank was given to me by my parents for a graduation present, and Painting it would be just wrong. my other tanks that didn't cost me anything I don't care about, but the 75 i need to keep nice and safe. SO i was thinking about using laminate of some kind to make a removeable surface to paint. I have glass hoods, and the standard light, which for the Malawi will be just fine!

I will keep everyone posted.

As always Suggestions, Tips, etc are always welcome!!!

Thanks everyone!

Mike

DSC_0122.JPG DSC_0124.JPG DSC_0125.JPG DSC_0132.JPG DSC_0120.JPG DSC_0008.JPG DSC_0010.JPG

rithunder916

AC Members
Jan 7, 2009
West Greenwich RI
Real Name
Michael
Ok I forgot to post up stocking.

[FONT=&quot]Labidochromis caerleus,[/FONT]
Pseudotropheus acei,
[FONT=&quot]melanochromis cyaneorhabdos[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]pseudotropheus demasoni[/FONT]

A question. I keep seeing the [FONT=&quot]maingano's in stores advertised by johanni. I also keep seeing Yellow johanni. I was wondering if the the maningano's come in other colors besied blue, since I have alot of blue in the above selected. I wouldn't mind some more yellow.

Thanks all!

Mike
[/FONT]

Iceeeyyyy

(っ◕‿◕)っ
Jun 19, 2008
rock in water
whoa, PETCO has its own powerheads now?!

rithunder916

AC Members
Jan 7, 2009
West Greenwich RI
Real Name
Michael
Yea they do! THey look alot like hobby pumps typically used in liquid cooling kits for computers. I just got the tank back inside, and i'm working on getting things all set up for it :)

Mike

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
BTW - if you tape off the sides and frame you can easily paint the back glass and when its time to remove it just start it with a rasor and peat it off in a sheet. AS long as you applie several thick coats of paint when you go to remove it - it will peal right off. Not sure how thtas anny different than a lamainit (better/worse?) but its cheap and looks nice!

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
A question. I keep seeing the [FONT=&quot]maingano's in stores advertised by johanni. I also keep seeing Yellow johanni. I was wondering if the the maningano's come in other colors besied blue, since I have alot of blue in the above selected. I wouldn't mind some more yellow.

Thanks all!

Mike
[/FONT]
Here, the problem is that mainganos (M. cyaneorhabdos) are also called Electric Blue Johanni; they are monomorphic: males and females have almost the same coloration (blue and black). The true Johanni (M. johannii) is a dimorphic species with genders of different colors: males are blue and black and females are yellow; both of them are born yellow and only the females stay with that color. Males of both species have similar coloration. Ask at your LFS which is the species that they have.

rithunder916

AC Members
Jan 7, 2009
West Greenwich RI
Real Name
Michael
Alright I'll have to look into that. I would like to get like 4 males and 8 females, to add another splash of color.

Thanks, and I'll post up more pics of progress, but right now it's an empty clean 75 sitting on it's stand, so nothing major to report!

Mike

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
YAY! African Cichlid build thread! :popcorn: It's always exciting, and even better to see someone doing with some good time spent on research first! :thm: Looks like you already have the idea, but I want to say it again, keep a min. of 1:2 (1 male : 2 female) ration with those beauties! (Your males will be prettier with more ladies to court. ;))

I'm excited to see it going- keep us posted with lots of pics! :dance:

rithunder916

AC Members
Jan 7, 2009
West Greenwich RI
Real Name
Michael
THere ill be Pics galore :) I will be keeling 1 male to 3 females for most, and maybe 3 male demonsi with 9 females :) oh yea the males will be happy!

Mike

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store