Goldfish Concern

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mcdanielnc89

AC Members
Aug 1, 2007
Kansas City, MO, USA
Real Name
Nate
I have a goldfish of which has a bump on the end of its tail and I have no clue what it is. I'm trying to fins something that will perhaps heal it as it looks disgusting. Here's a video of it.

[yt]96qnGnPFPXc[/yt]

Last edited by a moderator:

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
It looks to be a tumor of some sort. I have seen quite a few goldies with tumors, actually. There is one in a tank at a local restaurant that has a tumor that covers half it's side, and I agree, it is disgusting.

Kristina

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Welcome McDaniel. Overall fish condition looks good, I don't see any other visible problems with the scales along the body or streaks in the finnage. I wonder that the top part of the fish right behind the head looks a little pinkish. What do you see there? There also looks like there's a chance the fish is stunted. Could you give us a little more detail about the setup and the fish?

How old is the fish and how long does it measure? Tank setup, water parameters, is it cycled, how long has it been running?

Goldfish develop tumors which can sometimes be removed.. or not. That's likely what this growth could be at the side of its tail.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
What can I do? He's had it for like almost a year.
Left untreated for a year or longer, a benign tumor won't do anything except be there and possibly get larger over a time... a malignant one will eventually end the fish's life. If this hasn't developed into something which impacts the health of the fish, you don't need to do anything. At worst, it's only an eyesore in that case.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Only one way of removing it is surgery if you know the procedures. It does look like tumor to me as well but it happens a lot with goldfish for some strange reason, possibly with genetic mutations.

mcdanielnc89

AC Members
Aug 1, 2007
Kansas City, MO, USA
Real Name
Nate
Welcome McDaniel. Overall fish condition looks good, I don't see any other visible problems with the scales along the body or streaks in the finnage. I wonder that the top part of the fish right behind the head looks a little pinkish. What do you see there? There also looks like there's a chance the fish is stunted. Could you give us a little more detail about the setup and the fish?

How old is the fish and how long does it measure? Tank setup, water parameters, is it cycled, how long has it been running?

Goldfish develop tumors which can sometimes be removed.. or not. That's likely what this growth could be at the side of its tail.
He's in a 55 gallon tank. been in it for 8 years. He measure's around 8". Paremeters are stable. The tank has been running for over 10 years, lol.

Left untreated for a year or longer, a benign tumor won't do anything except be there and possibly get larger over a time... a malignant one will eventually end the fish's life. If this hasn't developed into something which impacts the health of the fish, you don't need to do anything. At worst, it's only an eyesore in that case.
I could be exaggerating about the length it has been there. It just seems like a long time as I see it daily.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
He's in a 55 gallon tank. been in it for 8 years. He measure's around 8". Paremeters are stable. The tank has been running for over 10 years, lol.

I could be exaggerating about the length it has been there. It just seems like a long time as I see it daily.
What really are your water parameters, Nathan? Please define stable. To be honest, if your comets have been in there for eight years, chances are it is more than eight years old already and by this time, the fish should be at least double the size. As benign as it may seem, comets still have that potential to grow to at least 12 inches or more.

The tumor presently will not endanger the fish judging from your posts and it doesn't appear to inhibit his ability to live a healthy life either.

mcdanielnc89

AC Members
Aug 1, 2007
Kansas City, MO, USA
Real Name
Nate
ammonia = 0, nitrites = 0 and nitrates = 10 ppm

It doesn't seem to bother the fish at all. It hasn't gotten any bigger either. It's stayed the same since it appeared.

Is a 55 gallon tank big enough for the fish?, I've been wanting a 120 gallon, btu haven't gotten one yet.

Also. this fish has died twice. lol.. LITERALLY. The famous Ice Cube cure that is i guess you can call a legend works like a charm, lol.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
55 gallons is fine for 2 comets, as we recommend water volume at 20 gallons per fish for pond varieties like comets, commons, shubunkins, wakins, and watonai (sometimes fantails as well).

I was a little concerned about stocking level here because in that video, the tank looks much smaller than a 55 gallon size. Have you confirmed the actual dimensions?

To reiterate what Lupin mentioned based on the details you've added........ yes, your comet appears to be quite stunted. My comet (sprocket) is already 10 inches long at 18 months of age and his mom (alexei) measures 12 inches long at approximately 3 years old. They continue to grow, however, throughout their whole lives... so it's still worth giving them adequate room. The stunting will cut down their natural lifespan, though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store