Bought a 100 Whisper Air Pump for a 20 gallon tank. What kind of air stone to get?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lateinningmagic

Call Me E-Man
Apr 14, 2009
New York
As the title says, I bought a 100 Whisper Air pump. I have the tubing, which i believe is 5 feet, but I don't have the air stone. I'm guessing air stone are pretty much all the same, but if there are some better quality ones you guys prefer I'd like to know.

I know there are also other things besides air stones to connect to the air pump, like those blue rods that make a bubble "screen" (Don't know what they are called, but I've seen em).

So what do you guys suggest I use for the bubble/oxygen distributor? I have a HOB filter located on the left side on the bank of the tank. So what should I get and where would be the best location to place it in the tank?

Thanks in advance.

SuBXeRo

TaNkAsAuRaUs REX
Jul 22, 2008
NJ and AZ
return the 100, that is alot of air for a 20 gal, i know from experience lol, and it is sooooooooo loud. I have a whisper 20 and it does the job just fine. You have a HOB already and that is usually perfectly fine for o2 exchange. i just use regular ait stones, pentair or topfin ones. I have wanted to try the good ceramic and glass ones but never got around to it.

lateinningmagic

Call Me E-Man
Apr 14, 2009
New York
return the 100, that is alot of air for a 20 gal, i know from experience lol, and it is sooooooooo loud. I have a whisper 20 and it does the job just fine. You have a HOB already and that is usually perfectly fine for o2 exchange. i just use regular ait stones, pentair or topfin ones. I have wanted to try the good ceramic and glass ones but never got around to it.
Opps! I made a mistake. It's a Whisper 20, not Whisper 100. I did a search on the forum and someone said they were using a whisper in their 20 gallon and the picture they attached was of a whisper 100, so I got confused. :headshake2:

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
most of the top fin one only last a few month to a year and i've had the brake apart,.. i have a few running sponge filters and underthat mess of changeing and cleaning the sponge i always unded up having them crack apart on me,..

sorry but i can remember which i have now the last a lot longer they are green and some i have are white,.finer grains stick together better imo,...

still cheap though, as i'm a cheapskate,..lol

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
:spam: J/K

they dont look pretty after a few months in the light but the lee's 'discard-a-stone'
seem to work well for me.

Sunshinessmile

ooooo shiny...
Apr 27, 2009
Denver
Real Name
Logan
there is a bucket at my LFS that has 79cent stone that are your basic thats what i have... they work great. i like the screen look tho.

lateinningmagic

Call Me E-Man
Apr 14, 2009
New York
Thanks guys. Except for DoN_WoN. J/K you at least bumped my thread up. I'm going to go looking on youtube and whatnot for pics of air pumps in action, see what I like.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store