dark discoloration of dwarf gourami

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MsBean

AC Members
Jan 21, 2009
I came home from a long weekend away to discover that my dwarf gourami is exhibiting dark gray discoloration on the bottom front part of its body (belly area and fin). The color is quite dark - almost black - but otherwise the fish doesn't appear to be showing any other symptoms. The affected area doesn't seem to have an unusual texture (no apparent cottony growths, no swelling, etc.) I thought it might be some sort of fungus or velvet, but after doing some research on the symptoms of those conditions that doesn't appear to match up with what I'm seeing.

Any thoughts on what might be affecting this fish, whether it's serious, and what treatment if any I should be undertaking?

By way of context, I have a ten gallon tank with five glowlight tetras and a single dwarf gourami, plus some live plants. The tank has been up and running fine for about 4 months. I change 1-2 gallons of water weekly and at last test (yesterday) the ammonia level was fine. While away last weekend the heater stayed on but I left the light off to prevent algae growth (although there is still a fair amount of sunlight in the room.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

MsBean

AC Members
Jan 21, 2009
Doing some more research, I noticed that male dwarf gouramis can significantly darken in color when they are about to spawn. This might explain what I am seeing (and the fact that there appear to be no other symptoms of illness). Is it conceivable that my fish would try to spawn even though there isn't a partner dwarf gourami in the tank with him?

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Can you post a pic?
Does his coloring look like this?

dwarff gourami.jpg

Last edited:

MsBean

AC Members
Jan 21, 2009
Yes that it what he looks like, though my fish is less brightly colored in general so the area looks more grey than blue. It is definitely the same area that is dark.

I will be so relieved if I can confirm this is normal healthy behaviour rather than some sort of ailment!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
He is indeed maturing. If he starts to build a bubble nest, best to go shopping for a pretty little lady gourami!:evil_lol:

MsBean

AC Members
Jan 21, 2009
That's great news! Thanks so much for your insights!

It would be fun to breed him, but I haven't had much luck finding lady dwarf gouramis. If I don't find him a girlfriend in time, will he be upset? Or will he get over it and move on?

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I think he'd get over it. Although he may stick his tongue out at you when you turn your back towards him!:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store