Condy Anemone and BTA?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Araignees

Registered Member
May 7, 2009
Kansas
Hello all,

I just bought a condylactis anemone today on an impulse (sale!) and was told by the salesman at the store that it would be all right for my tank. However, after doing a little more research (I know, should have done it beforehand >_>), I am reading a lot of bad experiences with these anemones. I already have had a BTA that is doing well and now I have read that one should not keep 2 types of anemone in the same tank.

When I put the condy anemone in, it went straight for my corals. I have read that they are much stronger stingers than the BTAs and I am thinking about taking it back tomorrow, as I am afraid that it will travel around and kill my corals/fish.

Is it safe to keep 2 types of anemone in the same tank? Furthermore, is the condy anemone safe for this setup? I have a 20 gallon tank, so I think it might be too small of a space if one or the other is going to be really territorial.

Sorry if this has been posted before, I am a total newbie. :) Thanks!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Good choice. I would definately agree that there is no way a BTA and Condy will be ok in a 20G. 200G maybe. You read right, condys pack a mean sting and will probably take out your BTA with enough time. I had one condy in my 29G for about 7 years and it was huge (1/2 the tank) before I gave it away with my maroon clown to a 225G home. Anytime I stuck my hand in the tank the condy would latch onto my hand if I got near it and stick like velcro on my skin, then Mr Maroon clown would come bite my hand, few times drawing blood.

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Ace, sounds like it was a good idea that you rehomed that pair... they were out to get you.

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
for what its worth, I didn't have a problem with my condy messing with corals. It stayed under rock... which may have meant it was not doing well... might try a BTA this time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store