African Dward Frogs must be the dumbest bottom dwellers I've ever seen

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DGalt

AC Members
Jun 1, 2008
Connecticut
I can't tell you how many times I've laid food down in front of my 2 ADF and had them jump over it or kick it in the wrong direction.

I know they're practically blind, and hunt mainly by smell, but I seriously doubt these guys' ability to live in the wild.

just needed to vent after another frustrate ADF feeding experience (even with hand feeding probably about 50% of the food goes to the rest of the tank mates :swear:)

lateinningmagic

Call Me E-Man
Apr 14, 2009
New York
LOL. I want to get a couple of those bad boys for my 20 gallon tank.

How do they interact with other bottom dwellers? I notice you have two plecos in there which seems kind of croweded to me, but anyway, do they get along with the ADF?

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
I agree 100%

I had 2 and they both died due to not eating

DGalt

AC Members
Jun 1, 2008
Connecticut
I've had 0 aggression issues with any of my bottom dwellers (which includes the 2 plecos. people always tell me that 2 plecos in a 15 gallon is too much, but I don't get why. the clown is only about 2 inches, maybe 2.5, and the albino BN is probably 3. i've had them together for almost a year now, and they get along just fine), the frogs are just too oblivious to find the find, even if it's right in front of their faces :headshake2:

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
LOL. I want to get a couple of those bad boys for my 20 gallon tank.

How do they interact with other bottom dwellers? I notice you have two plecos in there which seems kind of croweded to me, but anyway, do they get along with the ADF?
ADFs normally will leave others alone unlike the ACFs. Please do not confuse the ADFs and ACFs. ACFs do not have webbed front feet and ADFs are not available with albinism trait which ACFs are often sold as.

hap3niz

AC Members
May 18, 2009
Hmm, I came home to find mine getting sucked into my powerhead on it's side... Thought it was a gonner. Well I took it out and it took off swimming with all it's organs on one side of it's stomach... Next day, I coke home to find it face first in it again

DGalt

AC Members
Jun 1, 2008
Connecticut
Hmm, I came home to find mine getting sucked into my powerhead on it's side... Thought it was a gonner. Well I took it out and it took off swimming with all it's organs on one side of it's stomach... Next day, I coke home to find it face first in it again
:headshake2:

to the person above who asked about the covered tank, it is suggested that you should cover the tank for them. they come to the surface to get air, usually very rapidly, and that creates a situation where they could quite literally fly out of the tank. parts of my hood don't cover the whole tank and I haven't had any issues, but a completely covered tank will reduce your risk of that happening to 0

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I would advise an intake strainer or even a prefilter sponge over the powerhead intake to prevent this from happening.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store