Common Clownfish Problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ander88

Newbie Mariner :)
Apr 29, 2009
Dumfries, Scotland
Visit site
Hey guys.

Just wondered if anyone has any idea what this little white dot / lump / spot may be ontop of one of my clowns.

Thought it was just food stuck but it seems attached.

Much appreciated

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
can't see it all that well. Did it have an injury on its dorsal fin? Could it be fin rot? How did the substrate replacement go? i am sure that someone will be better able to diagnose, but it might help if there was a better pic.

ander88

Newbie Mariner :)
Apr 29, 2009
Dumfries, Scotland
Visit site
Hey,

Not even started yet. Sand hasnt arrived yet. Only going for 1/3 at a time when it does.

LFS say that it is just due to stress and will clear itself up in time. I think the girl said linfo something..... I really should have been listening properly. They had some fish in QT which had the same and she said they would be good in a few days

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
She probably told you it's lymphocytis, which I don't know much about, but simply recognize from what you had started to type. I've seen skunk cleaner shrimp pick what I was told was lymphocytis off of fish in the past, but I can't really say that I could diagnose a fish as having lymphocytis as opposed to something else. Hopefully, someone that knows more about it will chime in for you to help confirm whether or not that's what it is.

thetermite

AC Members
Feb 13, 2009
Dubai
cant really tell from the photo, but i think it could be "cauliflower" disease. which isnt really serious. will drop off on its own...but need to keep an eye on it. my percula had it...for about 10 days...no treatment, just came off on its own. but i could be wrong in your case...got a better "close-up" photo?

*take a closer look at the growth, it it looks like a tiny cauliflower, then thats it...nothin to worry about, but keep an eye on it...they can sometime grow around the gills and cause discomfort to the fish. good luck, keep us posted

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
The pic won't come up, but if it's Lymphocystis(Cauliflower is the same thing) there's good news and bad. Good news is that it's rarely harmful to a fish unless the lumps are big emough and in the right location to interfere withe eating or breathing. Bad news is it's a virus, you can't cure it, and every fish that goes into your tank will get the virus. It's really not all that bad though. Think of it as the cold sore of the fish hobby. If you're exposed to Herpes I you might get a cold sore. And you might get them off and on for the rest of your life. Or you might not. I used to get them as a teenager, but I haven't had an outbreak in well over 20 yrs. If the fishes' immune system gets compromised he'll have an outbreak. If he's fed a good diet, kept in good water and not stressed out by his tankmates or environment it'll drop off and very likely never come back. But he still has it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store