help with a few gecko q's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chazsgirl

AC Members
Jul 14, 2008
I have a few ques. for those experts out there

1st my 4 yr old leopard gecko Jewel hasn't wanted to eat for about a week now, we have tried live chrickets, dead ones(can o crickets) and meal worms (can o worms), even a pinkie mouse(her favorite) she has a nice perfect fat tail, but how long is too long to go without food?

2nd- my panther (about 6 or so months old) doesn't want to eat either, he is much smaller than the other in the tank (both the same age bought days apart from same tank), the little one (little foot) has been sorta hiding, I put a water bottle cap in his little dirt home with crickets and worms but he just doesn't seem interested, what should I do, the tank is heavily planted and he sometimes comes out to play on the leaves but goes right back to hiding, my guess is to put him in his own tank, am I right?
oh has anyone ever fed a pinkie mouse to a panther? is it ok?

thanks in advance!

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
What are the temperatures in the cages? Now that it's getting warmer folks are turning on their air conditioners so temperatures inside homes will drop some and so will the temp in the gecko tanks.

There is also the possibility that both geckos are gravid. Females will sometimes not eat for 1-2 weeks before laying eggs. Even if a male isn't present some females will lay eggs anyways. You can see the eggs through the sides of most leopard geckos. You'll see a pale white rounded shape below the ribcage.

Keep trying with the live foods. Those "Can O Bugs" don't work. I don't even know why they sell them in stores. If you don't have a temp probe or temp gun I'd recommend picking one up. They're definitely worth the investment.

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Has anything changed during the past 1-2 weeks in your house? Lots of extra activity, move cages around, temp changes, etc?

chazsgirl

AC Members
Jul 14, 2008
duuno the temp, there is a heat pad and a heat lamp in the panthers tank (both males)
and the leo I have no clue either, but we haven't had the air on

I believe the panther is scared of the bigger one and hides from it

I have never had any issues with the can o crickets and they get live ones every few weeks to keep up with activity but they didn't get it recently
I bought that caloric stimulant from petco and both seem to love it, I tough their noses with it and they lick like crazy

LifelessForm

Papercut Survivor
Sep 8, 2008
Mechanicsburg, Pa
2 males in the same cage may not be a good idea, that may be causing stress issues and that would result in not eating.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
2 males in the same cage may not be a good idea, that may be causing stress issues and that would result in not eating.
Yep, that's most likely the issue that's going on with the Paroedura picta. Almost all gecko species are territorial and two males should not be housed together. I would separate them immediately.

You really should get your geckos on a better diet. Those Can o' Crickets were designed to be treats for reptiles like box turtles, bearded dragons, monitor lizards and certain skink species. They should not make up a large percentage of the diet at all. They also are not as nutritious as live prey because when they are dehydrated they lose a lot of the vitamins and minerals along with all of the moisture they would normally have. Geckos are active hunters that look for movement when searching for prey. Don't deprive them of that. Keep giving them dust, gut loaded crickets and they'll do just fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store