Wal mart Angels!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sunshinessmile

ooooo shiny...
Apr 27, 2009
Denver
Real Name
Logan
I know what your thinking! I saw them and I was stunned! they were healthy and beautiful and had only been in the tanks for a day. poor things were all crowed at the top to stay away from the mean ol' dragon fish(which i think is a dragon goby, but i thought they were brackish?) anyway, I got four of them, for the price of one.

One was a real light grey but now after being in the tank is a real dark gray. Has this happened to any one else? I also noticed that the stripes of two of the fish that were real light at the store are now dark and beautiful.

after an hour of trying to get a few good pics of them i cant find my connector cable! I will try and get them up soon. One is dime sized two are nickel sized and one is almost a quarter.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Yes the Dragonfish is a Dragon Goby and yes there brackish watered fish but they could tolerate Freshwater ok although its not recommended. We got those at the Walmart I work at I was like Oh Sweet but read up on them and now I feel sorry for em.

Never seen Angels out here thats cool. Hope you find that connector cable for your camera really looking forward to seeing what kind of Angels walmart stocks.

How did u get 4 for the price of one??? Did the cashier make an error?

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
they may have been at the surface of the water due to poor water quality. Wallyworld is not known for caring for their fish all too well.

the reason they darkened is because they were stressed at the store and now that they are home in your tank (which i would think is way better water quality and environment) and are more 'at home', they are showing their full colours. fish go pale when stressed or sick.

you will need to keep an eye on them as they mature. i have read that as they grow up they will be quite aggressive to each other while establishing the pecking order, and that could result in only one angel left in the tank. my two i have to keep in seperate tanks, since one is much more dominant than the other now that they are nearly mature.

it would have been a better idea to quarantine them instead of adding them straight to your 55 gallon. especially since they came from Walmart. keep a good eye on that tank for disease they may have brought home with them.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Hey Walmart carrys good quality fish top notch best of the best...... Ahhh who am I kidding yeah I would of quarantined them as well not just cuz there from Walmart but cuz its what you should do no matter where they come from wether it be from Jeff Rapps or Walley World.

Also fish quality varies from Walmart to Walmart it all depends on how well the Department Manager knows how to care for fish. I am currently waiting for the Department Manager for pets to step down so I could try taking over =) then Ill order whatever in the world I want.

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
GER, a lot of the time larger corporation run stores have soooooo many rules in place. it's not like a smaller mom and pop lfs, where the store manager has the liberty to order what they think would sell. stock orders aren't even made at the store most of the time for places like Wallyworld, Zellers etc. they just get a shipment in that has been prescribed by corporate headquarters or some such bigwig up the line.

i have asked store employees on many occassions at different big box stores when they are likely to get some more of a certain item in. they always have responded with "when stock comes in we don't even know whats in the boxes most of the time".

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
GER, a lot of the time larger corporation run stores have soooooo many rules in place. it's not like a smaller mom and pop lfs, where the store manager has the liberty to order what they think would sell. stock orders aren't even made at the store most of the time for places like Wallyworld, Zellers etc. they just get a shipment in that has been prescribed by corporate headquarters or some such bigwig up the line.

i have asked store employees on many occassions at different big box stores when they are likely to get some more of a certain item in. they always have responded with "when stock comes in we don't even know whats in the boxes most of the time".
I worked a Waldenbooks in my university days- and most of what we were sent was decided at a higher level. We did have some say in what we got though- and could order additional stock in... and indeed did.

What your comment made me think of though was a trip to Superpetz:
"You have a tank marked Crayfish, do you know what species or kind they are?"
"No Corporate just called them crayfish"
"Do you know what size they get when full grown?"
"No corporate doesn't tell us."

If they were dwarf crays I would have got them- but who knows how big they'll get or if they'd eat my fish.

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i know that if i was an employee of the fish department at a big box store they had better give me a computer at my lil station with an internet connection. 'cause "Corporate doesn't tell us" just ain't good enough for me! lol.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Walmart does have a internet connection to Home Office (corporate) and you could email them freely. I know the regular employee's cant order and yeah they dont know whats in those boxes but the Department Managers do or well they should cuz there are reports for all inventory that comes in. There is so much paper work its almost as bad as a cop walking into a murder suicide and then having to do paper work lol.

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
no, what i meant was i would want to do research at work, if i worked there, to make sure i was informed enough to inform the customer on anything that i was in charge of selling, especially if the idiots up at corporate send stock and name it something obscure, like "blue community fish", lol, and i don't specifically know what kind of fish it is off the top of my head.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Stocking is based off from sales inventory numbers. If a product is fast moving you get more. This is computer controlled in many corporate stores. Shelf-life decides what does and doesn't get stocked. In many stores the store manager has no say as at times it is based more on national sales than regional.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store